overstocked???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sergie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've read threads from people with bigger tanks than mine but yet have fewer fish. It got me to thinking if I'm overstocked. it's 46g and livestock is:
2 clownfish
2 three stripped damsels
1 bicolor blenny
1 firefish goby
1 green clown goby
1 coral beauty

All are about an inch except for the beauty and bicolor which are both around 2.5".

Most of which will grow, and the damsels will get agressive and attack the others, so the others will need room to hide and get away.

I'd at least see if I could return the damsels. I'm not familiar enough with the others to say anything about compatibility.

I would agree on the damsels going bye bye. Otherwise I don't see any issues. I believe the beauty get coral nippy but can't be sure as I don't have any of those fish.

I've got clowns, gobies and blennies :-D

Ok that's what I've been thinking, I just can't figure out a good way to snag those sneaky damsles without ruining all of the other fishies homes... :-(. Can someone come do it for me!? It's so frustrating.

I'm the same way. LOL Been trying to catch a tiny male clown outta my 55g for weeks but he keeps eluding me. I'll get his butt when I break down the 55g to move it. Sneaky little fishes...

I've tried that bottle trick and it's like they knew I was trying to lure them. They never went close to it. Maybe I'll give it another shot. I'm afraid I'll hurt the fish if I do the bait and hook. Even though I'm trying to get rid of them, I still like them.

I tried the bottle trick as well and I found that using a smaller bottle, like a standard 20oz. worked much better than the 2 ltr. It seemed they were scared of the big bottle, but the little one, they jumped right in to get the bait.

I've put like 2 flakes in and as the fish goes up.... Hide the net and "whoosh"! You got'em! But then afterwards, they're scared of the food until one brave lil' fishy goes up and takes some food and slowly others will join in. It's a little cruel but it saves all the trouble

Cool I'll have to try the 20oz size tonight. Although I know my clowns will be falling for that before my damsels. My clowns are dumb as rocks. One was practically resting on my hand while I was resetting a coral frag. But that's why I love them!
I don't use flake food and my clowns are always the first to the scene anyways so I'm not sure if that technique would work in my tank. But I'll give it a shot if the damsels are too smart for the bottle.

you could always catch your clown and then release it :)

I think my domino damsel is beginning to get aggressive towards my clowns. The female is big enough to defend herself, but the male is now hiding behind my filter inlet. Time to donate the damsel :(

At least the damsel gets bullied by the flame angel sometimes. Karma :)

If you have a QT, you can just move the clowns over after they get caught, and reset the trap for the damsels. The QT shouldn't have decorations, so you can more easily catch them to put them back when the damsels are captured.

I've used the fish hook method and caught unwanted Damsels and as long as you pinched in the barb you should have no problems.
PS: Just be sure to draw your drapes close or you might end up in the hospital........mental ward. LOL

Back
Top Bottom