Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-13-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
"stocking" is very subjective. It really depends on the type of fish you have and the filtration system you are using. The best way to tell if you are overstocked is to turn to your water parameters. If ammonia and nitrite are zero and nitrates are low, you are not overstocked. Keep in mind, the more you push the bioload limits of your tank, the less room for error you will have if something goes wrong. It is a good idea to leave yourself a little "buffer" room. I honestly do not think adding a clown to your tank would increase bioload much at all. Providing all parameters are normal. This does not address the crowd issue. If fish feel crowded they become stressed and we all know what that does. Would one more clown make it too crowded? Most likely not. People also need to understand that stocking an aquarium appropriately is much different then stocking an aquarium with the appropriate fish (meaning you can put three small fish in a 30gal and be stocked just fine. But you should not put a naso tang in said 30gal. tank...inappropriate.) Bottom line...if you feel your system can handle the addition of a clownfish, go for it. I hope this makes some sense, I will now step down from my soap box...Lando

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Lando, well stated. The early comment about power outages has me thinking as well into investing into a backup system. I do not feel I am overstocked although I probably have at least 1 "inapporpriate" fish with the Orange shoulder tang for my 75gal.

In another thread on overstocking I made the point that there are no real rules only guidlines and every situation is different.

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
I get very upset by all of the "rules" that people feel they have to live by in this hobby. You care correct, they should be considered "guidelines". Every situation needs to be evaluated one at a time. I get very frustrated by people saying you can't do this and you can't do that when most of them have never tried. they arejust repeating what they heard from someone else. An example...I have 260watts of CF lighting on my 72gal. reef. I have been told time and time again that you MUST have MH lighiting in order to keep SPS corals and some clams. I have been keeping keeping two species of SPS corals and clams for months under my CF lighting. They are not merely surviving, but they are thriving. All have grown and retained their beautiful color. Keep in mind that I also do know my limitaions. There are several things I would not even consider trying to keep with my current set-up. All I ask is that people use some good old fashion common sense (although it might not be so common) when making descisions. Okay...really...I am off my soap box now...Lando
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:34 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here, here Lando. I agree with you 100%
Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i mentioned in another post a similar thought. i think most of the "rules" are guidelines for someone who has time to take care of their animals but not spend as much time as some of us. neither way is right or wrong as long as the animal gets proper care. i spend a lot of time taking care of my tank. testing water , cleaning, feeding etc....... if you pay attention to the special needs of your animal and your tank and take the time to meet these needs i am sure many great things can be accomplished.

i also just got a SPS given to me. i have CF lghting also. i have faith that i can keep this coral happy and healthy.

steve r
75g RR. 2x250 14k MH / 2x54 T5 act. 29g sump. ASM G1X skimmer. phosban reactor. 80lbs LS, 90lbs LR, 2x seio M620.
kole tang, bicolor angel, mandarin dragonette, ocellaris clown / BTA , cleaner shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, a variety of soft, SPS, and LPS corals, orange linckia star.
steve r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 05:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
Your tank is only as powerful as your equipment, and your consistency.-me

Granted, there are *some* rules to abide by.
1) Size of tank must be appropriate to fish.
ie. Don't stick a nurse shark in a 300g tank... .. that's just cruel.
ie. A large tang can typically do well in a smaller tank then most would claim, but can stress much more easily due to varying tank quality.
2) The more fish, the more filtration is needed, as long as fish are appopriately sized, and appropriately tempered.
ie. You can have 40 firefish in a 25g tank, that's *way* beyond the 1"/5g 'rule', but because these fish are so peaceful and expend so little waste it works out fine.
3) Don't think a fish is 'un-keepable' just because everyone else says so.
ie. Green Mandarin - this fish could pretty much go in almost any tank with healthy liverock (Suggested: at least two large chunks completely covered in growth).
4) Established tanks require daily maintenance. The more stuff you have in your tank, the faster things can change. "Overpopulated"? Look at doing checkups generally twice a day.... unless you have pretty hardy fish, or you like living on the edge; cleaning grime off glass and syphoning sand.

Personal experience has also shown me that nature will quite clearly show you its borders. Look at my (sad) "kill" list below. That wasn't my responsibility, but its owners who had way too many fish. Granted not all of them were in the tank at once, but he kept trying to add more and more, and the tank just wasn't having it. Typically when you cross that natural 'border', you'll lose more than you just added -- as fish durability and tolerance will only stretch so far.

schoeplein is offline   Reply With Quote

overstock, overstocked

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com