Oxymonacanthus longirostris

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ternaldo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is the Oxymonacanthus longirostris (Beaked Leatherjacket) a good fish for a reef tank. Yes, I know they nibble on polyps but I just want to know because this fish is one of my all time favorites. So if you can give me any advice at all that would be great. Thanks a million in advance and happy marine keeping :D

Also know as the longnose file fish, thisi one you should stay away from. They have a VERY dismal survival rate in the home aquarium as they almost never accept prepared foods and ultimatly starve to death. Their natual food is the polyp of the acropora coral and this can not really be duplicated in most home aquariums.

Ha Yeah We got one in at our store that had ich and we knew wouldnt eat so I took him home instead of us freezing him hopeing to get him to each some xenia with no luck. I cleared the Ich but he wont eat anything. I know they only eat acro but was wondering how fast they eat it. The fish is in a QT right now doing fine just not eating. I am willing to buy acro for him if he is a slow eater. I love this fish but I cant get him to eat. I am hoping to save him.

Attachments

• filefish_3_137.jpg
    filefish_3_137.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 345
Couldn't you just buy acropora and have him nibble on that...yeah I know its more complicated than that but couldn't you have that option open to you. A fish store by my house can get acropora in on a regular basis if you want. I looked into most acropora's and they need alot of the same requirements and lighting of my other corals. So is this not a fair suggestion?

Your best bet is to still look for the odd-ball that will accept prepared food. Providing acros could prove to be a very expensive diet. Also, they do require intense lighting, prefered is MH.

I got him eating Live Aduld Brine. So I placed him into my main tank like 2 days ago. I thought he might nibble at some of my polyps to eat but he still didnt eat anything. So I order Live Adult Brine shrimp cuz my Mandarins love them. The last couple of days I have been jumping of the walls. The Fish loves to eat them like I was amazed I just assumed the fish was doomed. I have a video of him eating them you really cant see the shrimp real good but you can see him striking at them one by one I will load it onto a website and give the link when I get a chance. Yes I do have MH.

Yeah thankfully I got him eating other food I dont know what I would have done.

What an awsome fish. He looks like a real prize. Breathrough getting him to eat. I love when people beat fish that were thought unheard of to keep in a home aquarium. I guess time will tell if he thrives.

Back
Top Bottom