Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oyster Feast question

Hello all,
Some background info. I have a 47 gallon FOWLR setup with sand bed. My filtration is 50 lbs of live rock and a canister filter (no Sump or fuge). Also no skimmer. It's a very low tech system with no dosing or anything.

I am now thinking of having some simple Corals like mushrooms, softies like pulsating Xenia, leather coral, something easy and hardy and that is all.

My LFS insists that I need to buy the Oyster Feast to feed my softies. My question is do I really need to feed these corals?

I do have a few fish that I feed Omega flakes and they all seem to be happy and chilling.

Thank you in advance

Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oyster Feast question

No. You really don't have to feed those corals. They will get all they need from your lights. Sounds like your LFS likes money

Old 07-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got Xenia, GSP and zoas and I've never fed them

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You dont need to feed them. They will get all they need from the water column and lights. I have never target fed my tank except for the sun polyps. They have to be fed or they wont make it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you guys for the help. I knew I will get right answers from the forum. It reinforces the idea to always research and ask questions on the forum before committing the money.

Thank you again.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Coral food for low tech systems = more money for the store, also = more problems related to nutrients and algae = more money for the store, that will try to sell you product to control algae and reduce nutrients wich also = more money to the store, wich will sell you more coral food to compensate the nutrient reducer, and then you'll have to buy more carbon and GFO for the reactor, wich means more money for the store until you get a total crash, that means new fishs and corals = lot more money for the store if you stay in the hobby.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

feeding speeds up growth but it's not a necessity they'll do just fine with weekly water changes
Old 07-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
Coral food for low tech systems = more money for the store, also = more problems related to nutrients and algae = more money for the store, that will try to sell you product to control algae and reduce nutrients wich also = more money to the store, wich will sell you more coral food to compensate the nutrient reducer, and then you'll have to buy more carbon and GFO for the reactor, wich means more money for the store until you get a total crash, that means new fishs and corals = lot more money for the store if you stay in the hobby.
Right on.. Couldn't agree more. LFS need to understand most people who visit them already know a lot about the hobby and they should n't try to skim occasional hobbyist.

Tags
question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com