oysters and sea urchins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrsfuller2572

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I stopped by the lFS last night and they have their so ugly they're neat looking urchins for sale. Also, an oyster. Before I add to our family, does anyone know anything about either? LFS aquarist whom I havepurchsed 99%of my things from said there was no reason why I shouldn't have them. However she did say the pencil urchin (critter of choice) might displace a coral or two, but'd be fine.
Anyone have experience?
Thanks.

Do you know what type urchin it is? Not sure about the oyster. On the urchin the pros are that they eat different types of bad algeas while the cons are that they bump into and knock over rocks and corals and some of them will strip corraline algea off rocks.

Go Buckeyes

I have a Pencil. You are right, the little guys are so ugly that they are cool to watch. They only move around in the moonlights, but are cool to see plugging away on LR and the glass. Mine hasn't been much of a bother to knocking over LR or corals, he manages to get into and out of small spaces without any damage. My stuff is not epoxied down.

You will definitely be able to tell where he has been the night before on the LR as he mows through algae like a madman. But, my coralline grows back quick, so for me it is not much of an issue. If I could get him to eat the coralline off the glass then I would be in heaven. But one good point about this is that his droppings also serve to spread coralline algae growth.

So, as with all decisions, there are pros and cons. Just depends on what you want and don't want.

My pencil does sometimes move a rock or two. They use their spines to wedge into places.

"Spike" the pencil urchin and Mr. oyster (kids can't come up with a name yet) are both doing well in their new home.
This SW aquarium has provided a great deal of serenity to our medically stressful home. So glad to have discovered aa and started this new hobby.

Do you have any pics? I`ve been thinking about an urchin so let me know how it goes.

mel, I'll get a couple of pics for you tonight when he is out and about, I just looked for him and I couldn't find him, he is wedged somewhere in a dark hole. I'll also post some pics of LR he's been going at for a couple of days so that you can know what you are in for in terms of him eating corraline algae.

But just know, that what he does to corraline, he also does to nuisance algae, i.e. demolishes it. MY corraline grows back pretty well, so I'm not too worried, I have my tank in the sunroom and I wanted something that could keep algae under control if my NO3 gets out of control in a tank that gets some indirect sunlight, and he does a great job at controlling what pops up. Haven't had many issues in the sunroom, it has forced me to keep working on the NO3 (as we discussed in the other thread), which is good for the inhabitants.

Back
Top Bottom