P04

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lando

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all...I have recently had an outbreak of cyno. Tested tank P04 and found it to be .5. I use RO/DI water and tested that and it came back at barely a .1 (using Red Sea test kit). I have been running Phosguard by Seachem for the last few days and P04 in tank is now at .3. So I do not think my RO/DI water is the problem. What else can cause an increase in P04? Thanks! Lando

Do you feed frozen food? if so do you defrost it first & get rid of the liquid?

Cheers Shelton.

I feed froozen mysis or krill once a week. I thaw it in garlic extreme, then strain out the liquid before adding it to tank.

I'm having similar issues. PO4 around .07, and cyano issues, just in the front right corner of the tank.

I'm wondering if temperature has any affect, as I've been combatting temps up to 84.6 F in the tank.
I think I've finally got taht licked.
But I still picked up another smaller Maxi-Jet 600 today, which I might point along the back of the tank, and then readjust the other 2 MJ-900's.

i have found the higher temp make algae grow better and faster but i do not know if that is try for cyano too.

Any added food will introduce phosphates, but this is a given cause we gotta feed our fish right?
So you need to take the pro-active stance by trying to eliminate as much phosphate & silicates as possible. If you already have a cyno problem, siphon out as much as possible during your routine water changes. RO/DI water is the first attack, rinsing frozen foods with RO/DI water, having adequate flow & turnover water volume, using a quality carbon that won't leech phosphates back into the water, using a phosphate reactor with either Phosban or Rowaphos media & regular water changes.
I also drip Kalkwasser which precipitates some phosphate.

Back
Top Bottom