Paintable???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was wondering if i can use krylon fusion for my overflow. Its a hob and i want to paint the part that goes IN the tank. Is this ok???

ForumRunner_20120423_170223.jpg

I don't think you can use standard Krylon Spary paint if it's going in. I'm thinking the SW will corrode and you'll get toxin's leaking into your tank. You would have to paint it and then seal it.

cerulean_blue said:
I don't think you can use standard Krylon Spary paint if it's going in. I'm thinking the SW will corrode and you'll get toxin's leaking into your tank. You would have to paint it and then seal it.

I thought the fusion was the good stuff to use?...

I thought the fusion was the good stuff to use?...

Well I've heard in many places it's safe for FW tanks, I wasn't sure about SW. But after some quick research I see some people have used it inside SW tanks, but I'm going to step aside and see if anyone else has actual experience with it though.

Good luck!

cerulean_blue said:
Well I've heard in many places it's safe for FW tanks, I wasn't sure about SW. But after some quick research I see some people have used it inside SW tanks, but I'm going to step aside and see if anyone else has actual experience with it though.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help tho!

I've used fusion to paint my diy overflow pipe black in my tank. I removed it after 2 months when it started to peel. I opted for a clear acrylic tube instead.

I would not paint it and put it inside tank. I am not sure if that is safe or not, just wait and let the coralline algae cover it. takes time

I prefer to use Rustoleum for spraying parts to be submersed (often used as a sealant).

I've used krylon fusion for well over a year without any problems under water. I'm using it right now on my return plumbing that is visible from the front of the tank (most of that being under water). The key is to let it cure for 48 hours or more.

mfdrookie516 said:
I've used krylon fusion for well over a year without any problems under water. I'm using it right now on my return plumbing that is visible from the front of the tank (most of that being under water). The key is to let it cure for 48 hours or more.

So u think my U tube and overflow box would be ok if i painted it and let it dry for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom