Painting back of tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to paint my tank black but it set up and I can move it. I have like 3" behind the tank. Could I do it?

If you'd be willing to do a lot of taping off and can ventilate the room very well you might be able.to spray it but I would say just get a black backdrop for it that's what's on my 20 extra high and looks just as good

Just get one of those really thin trim rollers, they're like 1" thick...and an extension pole. You will be ok... I wouldn't spray paint anywhere near it personally, no offense MRC :cool: you da man anyways!

I'll put this out there lol. I'm guilty. I sprayed my 55 that was already set up with fish in. It's not worth it and it was a HUGE pain! I'd go for the roller approach or do window film like when they tint windows.

I made such a mess... Fish were fine but the wife wasn't when she had black feet(oops) just when you think you've taped off enough area and the over spray will get everywhere TRUST me. Not worth it, coming from someone who did it.

I've actually done a lot of indoor spraying during winters and after enough trial and error its kinda easy you just have to consider how the air will be blown as it blows off the different surfaces but something like this I would tape it off on top, down one side, along the bottom, and up the wall to make a "pocket" with one opening to spray from then grab your shop vac and either have someone hold it or tape it in place. It's kind of a lot of work but I prefer spray paints over roll ons. I've torn down modded and spray painted a computer tower all on my computer desk with no mess and all hardware working fine in the end lol

go with the roller there shouldn't be a problem. If you need more room, if its on a wood floor you could slide it out a couple of inches I did that to get my skimmer behind mine.

Depending on the tank size i would do a wc mayb a 80% and rotate the tank and spray paint it. Thats just my 2 cents

It's 150 gallons so it weighs over 2000 pounds lol. I can't do more than a 40% change either. I'm liking the idea of card stock. That way I could take it down with 0 problems.

That's too expensive for me. I need something cheap. Lol. I think cardboard it stock will work awesomely. I'll just tape it on and I can replace as needed.

Paint a massive shark opening it's jaws and see if all the fish hide

I like my purple backround full of coraline nothing better then all natural

i got a roller from home depot and rolled it on while my tank was set up. I used acrylic paint cut off pumps and skimmer for a bit had no problems. I do only have a 48" tank

Back
Top Bottom