Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Painting Back Of Tank

I was gonna start painting the back of the tank today or tomorrow and was wondering if their are any suggestions from you guys. Can I use regular paint, any form of priming, and what precautions should I use? TIA........

Old 02-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to msamsonz28
I used a flat black oil based enamel on mine and it turned out great IMO. I just cleaned the glass then brushed it on. The only thing to watch out for is it will scratch off if you rub it with anything hard (ie a HOB skimmer). But even that's an easy fix. HTH and good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I used a flat black spray paint. Took it outside, taped the sides of the tank to prevent the spray from getting on the sides, then did 2-3 coats of the spraypaint. It worked great as well.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Latex paint works as well. Think I put about 6 coats on mine - however many it took until I couldn't see light through it anymore. If you're going to use spray paint, just make sure to put the tank top down - or mask off the top - to make sure you don't get any drifting spray on the inside.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i used black acrylic paint. Just cleaned the glass, painted on 4 coats, let dry, looks great. 9 of 10 tanks have been painted. Just haven't gotten around to doing the last one yet.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
i used a couple coats of acrylic on mine.

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank has been up for 2 years and I JUST got around to painting the back yesterday...not an easy task when it's already up and running - but, I just got some cheap black latex paint (Color Creations brand) at walmart. All they had was satin - no flat, but it worked out great.

As people have said you do have to put a few coats on. The first doesn't really stick well. Think I did 4 coats.

-------------------------------------------------
210 gallon aggressive tank in process.
SkinnyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

IMO using spray cans gives a better finished look. I used flat black on my 5g nano and it looks almost like a mirror when viewed from the front. I think the next one I do I'm going to go with a nice blue....Spray cans all the way for me!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would use latex that way if you want to remove it ever you can just peel it right off like a sticker.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well before I read any of these posts yesterday I applied my first coat. I just went with an enamel based paint and used a roller to put it on. Everything it turned out alright and am going to be adding the second coat today. By the way, it would have been a lot smarter to do so before the tank was up and running, but maybe on the next tank......

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com