Pair of Peppermint Shrimps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRealFF

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 30G reef and wondering if i should get 1 peppermint shrimp or two. Is there is reason y i should get a pair? I already have cleaner shrimp so im not sure if it's a good idea to have 3 shrimps in a 30G

Just curious. How many shrimp do you right now? Just the one cleaner shrimp?

With a thirty gallon, you have plenty of space. I have a 22g and I was talking to the LFS and they said it would be fine for me to throw in 5 green emerald crabs and the two more shrimp later on if i wanted.

I've been reading and people in the old archive threads have as much as 10 shrimp in their 55g-75g. I don't think you should worry too much about 3 shrimp in there as long as you have plenty of live rock.

Cool. Well I was just wondering if having 2 peppermints would have any better benefits than having just 1 (like they prefer to be in pair and such). I prefer having just 1 peppermint since 3 shrimps in my 30G would make it look like a shrimp tank lol

Actually, Peppermints very much like a group. I'd get atleast two, but even three if you want. They are also somewhat nocturnal. They may hide alot during the day or be their most active at night.

I have two now, and I love them.

They are great for cleaning up aptasia as well. I put two in and within a week I had no bulbs anywhere in my tank.

I have 3 in my 55 along with 2 Skunks, 2 Fires, a Tiger Pistol, and 3 emerald crabs. I dont think 3 would be a lot for your tank. Just remember the peps will hide during the day so yo really wont see them until you feed them or your lights are out. My Peps and Fires usually do not show themselves during daylight hours.

I have a 30 gal tank and I had just on peppermint shrimp and it never came out of hiding except at night. I recently added two more and now the single guy comes out all the time with the other two.

The great thing about 2 peppermints is that they breed quite easily. The fry will normally not survive, but hey, free food for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom