Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pairing Clowns

I have read what I can on clownfish and also in theFeb/Mar profile & have a question on having mating pairs.

The 2 true perc clowns that I have are the same size. I know the larger one will become the female, while the smaller one stays male. How, or can this pair mate? Will one grow quicker to be the female, or do I need to do something?

Thanks again

Old 06-07-2003, 05:16 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
How long have you had them together?

The most domonite one will grow faster and become the female or at least take on the female role.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to dantodd
Clown Sex

It really depends on their age. A male can turn into a female but not the other way around. If they've been together all their lives then you should be OK. If they have been kept separately for some time then it is possible that both are already female. You can tell because one will hide all the time, if there is room, if there isn't room to hide one will usually be killed.

The dimorphism will happen; assuming neither is female yet. Now, if they mate up or not is anyone's guess. maybe some nice mood music and soft lighting in the evening will help

dan
Old 06-08-2003, 11:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It all really depends on the size of them. If they are still juveniles, they will figure out who needs to be who . If the environment lacks a male, a juvenile's hormones will kick in and the fish will grow and assume the role of a male. If the environment lacks a female, one will become dominant and grow into a female. If both roles are already filled, other juveniles will remain forever so until one of the roles is needed. As mentioned, if you already have 2 large clownfish, they are most likely already female, this is why it is always best to buy them as juveys.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have had one for three months, the other for about 1 month. They both hang around and eat together, never fight, are both always out and at times seem to be dancing with each other (no mood music). They are exactly the same size-1&1/8" long. When I bought them, at the same LFS, I got them because they were the smallest in the store. Should I take one of them back for a smaller one? or just wait it out?
Old 06-09-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

if they get along fine...leave em...
Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They are small enough that they are still juveniles. One should become dominant and turn into the female and the other will take the initiative and become a male.

HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, clowns, pairing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com