Pairing Clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have read what I can on clownfish and also in theFeb/Mar profile & have a question on having mating pairs.

The 2 true perc clowns that I have are the same size. I know the larger one will become the female, while the smaller one stays male. How, or can this pair mate? Will one grow quicker to be the female, or do I need to do something?

Thanks again

How long have you had them together?

The most domonite one will grow faster and become the female or at least take on the female role.

Clown Sex

It really depends on their age. A male can turn into a female but not the other way around. If they've been together all their lives then you should be OK. If they have been kept separately for some time then it is possible that both are already female. You can tell because one will hide all the time, if there is room, if there isn't room to hide one will usually be killed.

The dimorphism will happen; assuming neither is female yet. Now, if they mate up or not is anyone's guess. maybe some nice mood music and soft lighting in the evening will help :)

dan

It all really depends on the size of them. If they are still juveniles, they will figure out who needs to be who :wink: . If the environment lacks a male, a juvenile's hormones will kick in and the fish will grow and assume the role of a male. If the environment lacks a female, one will become dominant and grow into a female. If both roles are already filled, other juveniles will remain forever so until one of the roles is needed. As mentioned, if you already have 2 large clownfish, they are most likely already female, this is why it is always best to buy them as juveys.

I have had one for three months, the other for about 1 month. They both hang around and eat together, never fight, are both always out and at times seem to be dancing with each other (no mood music). They are exactly the same size-1&1/8" long. When I bought them, at the same LFS, I got them because they were the smallest in the store. Should I take one of them back for a smaller one? or just wait it out?

They are small enough that they are still juveniles. One should become dominant and turn into the female and the other will take the initiative and become a male.

Back
Top Bottom