Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pairing maroon clowns

Hi All,

Has anyone successfully paired maroon clowns?

I have had my maroon around 3 months and would like to introduce another but have read that the Maroon is notoriously hard to pair.

Thanks

Andi

Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've got 2 that are paired , put them both in at the same time if that matters .

Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco V
I've got 2 that are paired , put them both in at the same time if that matters .
Thanks Marco,
Old 09-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm currently raising some up from fry, just two I got from lfs, but I have some experience with perculas. Clowns are all born male, right? So, keep 2 together long enough from birth, and the most dominant male becomes female. Survival of the species. Additionally, leave a clown alone long enough and it becomes female. Odds are in the wild it will run into another male clown, again survival off the species. So, if you pick up two clowns that for some reason haven't been kept together, or with any other clowns, chances are they're both female. Since they can't change back to male, they will fight to the death. Watch out for aggressive behavior, charging and chasing. If one shimmies and the aggressive leaves it alone then its ok, they might still pair. If however one grabs the other and shakes it like a dog, then chances are you're to far along
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
I'm currently raising some up from fry, just two I got from lfs, but I have some experience with perculas. Clowns are all born male, right? So, keep 2 together long enough from birth, and the most dominant male becomes female. Survival of the species. Additionally, leave a clown alone long enough and it becomes female. Odds are in the wild it will run into another male clown, again survival off the species. So, if you pick up two clowns that for some reason haven't been kept together, or with any other clowns, chances are they're both female. Since they can't change back to male, they will fight to the death. Watch out for aggressive behavior, charging and chasing. If one shimmies and the aggressive leaves it alone then its ok, they might still pair. If however one grabs the other and shakes it like a dog, then chances are you're to far along
Hi,

Some great advice there thank you.

My maroon is about 3-3.5 inches so quite mature I would think therefore female?? If I was to put a smaller maroon in In the hope it is male and see what happened.

A bit risky I'm sure but worth a go?

Andi
Old 09-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a good start. You might also try to put a couple of smaller clowns in, temporarily. Chances are higher then. See if a store might except the return, or loan out some clowns
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by uh.oh...
That's a good start. You might also try to put a couple of smaller clowns in, temporarily. Chances are higher then. See if a store might except the return, or loan out some clowns
Good thinking

I'll let you know how I get on

Tags
clown, clowns, maroon clown, pairing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com