Palancar reef/Cozumel - next week's trip. Input/suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Going there from 6/9 - 6/13. Staying at the Allegro resort, billed as a good dive resort. Got kids with us @ 11, 14, & 16. Definitely gonna do some snorkelling - first time for the kids, our second time. Probably wanna do the scuba lesson in the pool too.

Anyone been to this Palancar Reef for snorkelling and have any suggestions? Really looking forward to this.

Chakkanaub State Park has some great snorkeling.

Behind La Cieba hotel is a sunken plane and a bunch of fish.

The ruins at Chitchen Itza are a great educational experience.

Chakkanaub is a great idea for shore snokeling, your resort may offer a boat trip which is even better. I took my 6 and 7 year old on a boat trip last year and they loved it. If fact, we had to go twice. They visited 3 different reefs and spent a lot of time in the water.
Id you have time, I would suggest getting dive certified.... thats even better. You can take the course locally and do your checkout dives in Coz. Some of the best diving anywhere. A resort course is OK and you will get to do one reef dive, but for a little more money you could get your certification. If you want to dive, go see my buddies at
http://www.deepbluecozumel.com great folks and excellent service.
Made 3 consecutive trips to Coz, this year we are changing up a bit. 30 days (but whose counting) till 2 weeks in Turks and Caicos, can't wait to hit the water.

Have a blast Ray, Coz is great. Just get out of the downtown area, its a zoo.
Make sure you rent a car and see the rest of the island...spectacular scenery on the south and eastern shore.
Anyone been to this Palancar Reef for snorkeling
Palancar is great by boat, but the best of the reef is a little deep for snorkeling.
Here is a link to my solo trip 2 years ago. It was great, 12 dives in 3 days. Going by myself and doing my own agenda was pretty cool.
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2167
http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=2170
If you need a tour guide, I am available on those dates. :p 8)

Man i wish i had the $$ to go snorkeling, i went once down in virgina but that was all and didnt get to see a reef....Im so jelous... :x

If you need a tour guide, I am available on those dates.
You are just tooo easy Kurt.

The wife and I have been a couple of times to different resorts. Once in December, so we ony snorkelled once. On the first trip we found out about the downtown zoo. Noisy, crowded, and kinda funky looking. I'm more of a "stay on the all-inclusive resort" type guy I'm finding out.

But, we will do the reef. Palancar by boat. Gonna try to get any of the boys (and/or wifey for that matter) to do the dive thing. I hope I can get that in. When I first snorkelled, I fell in love with the creatures. A couple of years later, I got my SW tank. Now, the need is to get to the bottom of the water to see more stuff - of course. :wink:

Thanks for all the good info guys!

Back
Top Bottom