Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
Panther Grouper

Hey Everyone....

Ok, so heres the deal.

My 75 has been set-up for about a month...give ar take a few days.

My levels all leveled out, so about a week or two ago i added my two maroon clowns who seem to be doing very well.

I went to my LFS and decided to add a panther grouper. My question is: Is it normal for panther groupers to hang out along the bottom? I'm not sure how well its doing.

I realize this fish will get very large, but i wanted one more thing in there for the time being.

If this fish should be removed, please tell me.

Thanks.

Matt

Old 09-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure about him hanging out @ the bottom, but wuz wondering what you want to have in your tank ultimately. I believe the grouper will eat small fish at some point.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
Not sure about him hanging out @ the bottom,
They seem to do this a lot when they are smaller...especially in larger tanks...likely a cryptic behaviour designed to camoflage them against the sea floor.

Quote:
but wuz wondering what you want to have in your tank ultimately. I believe the grouper will eat small fish at some point.
Crustaceans, too....and 'small' is relative here...this is an eventually 26"-30" fish.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 01:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
IMO Groupers shouldnt be partnered with any docile species.. triggers you could get away with.. But with the Grouper reaching 75cm or so that would have no trouble eating anything really..
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to brndfrb
I agree that 75 is going to be pretty small for him when he gets adult size.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
i would only keep one if i had a 280 gallon tank or something about that size. groupers get extremely large and eat about anyhting....but since you are getting rid of it...

they wil habg out anywhere except when young like toirtis said they hid at the bottom of the tank/

pretty neat looking fish btu get way too big.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That grouper will make short work of your clowns once it gets bigger. I've seen small groupers take out dottybacks in seconds. And I'm going to echo what everyone else has said they get huge when full-grown. It's nothing like having two foot if not larger fish in your tank that will anything it can get.

Maiden's Hair, Calerpa, and Red Kelp macro algae.
X the Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:13 PM   #8

Sounds like he may not have been healthy. No offense, but sounds like he was an impulse buy. You may want to try a take him back and figure out what you want your tank to be eventually and then research fish which are suitable. Also, I'd highly recommend you QT all new additions for at least 4-6 weeks to prevent introducing ich or any other disease and wiping out your ST. Good luck!

KG
Old 10-14-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to matman
Hey everyone.

Since that post I have taken the Panther Grouper back. KG, you are correct, it was very much an impulse buy.

I took it back and bought a Mexican Rock Wrasse who is super entertaining! And just yesterday i added a Blue Hepatus Tang.

It's a reef tank, so i think that may be all i'm going to have in my tank fish wise, 2 Maroon Clowns, The Mexican Rock Wrasse and the Hippo Tang...later on I may add a Spotted Dragonet, but i'd like to start focusing on more LR and Corals. The Hippo seems to be very happy! It ate a little but today too.

The only thing is still the fact that my water is still a bit cloudy. My levels are all perfect...with the exception of like 10 Nitrates...

I eliminated the direct sunlight, added a skimmer, and i'm scrubbing the algae everyday....any thoughts as to why its cloudy??

Matt
Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Don't know if it will solve your problem, but are you running a UV? I've heard some folks say it helped their cloudy water. Heard others say there was no dif.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com