Panther Grouper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone....

Ok, so heres the deal.

My 75 has been set-up for about a month...give ar take a few days.

My levels all leveled out, so about a week or two ago i added my two maroon clowns who seem to be doing very well.

I went to my LFS and decided to add a panther grouper. My question is: Is it normal for panther groupers to hang out along the bottom? I'm not sure how well its doing.

I realize this fish will get very large, but i wanted one more thing in there for the time being.

If this fish should be removed, please tell me.

Thanks.

Matt

Not sure about him hanging out @ the bottom, but wuz wondering what you want to have in your tank ultimately. I believe the grouper will eat small fish at some point.

austinsdad said:
Not sure about him hanging out @ the bottom,

They seem to do this a lot when they are smaller...especially in larger tanks...likely a cryptic behaviour designed to camoflage them against the sea floor.

but wuz wondering what you want to have in your tank ultimately. I believe the grouper will eat small fish at some point.

Crustaceans, too....and 'small' is relative here...this is an eventually 26"-30" fish.

IMO Groupers shouldnt be partnered with any docile species.. triggers you could get away with.. But with the Grouper reaching 75cm or so that would have no trouble eating anything really..

i would only keep one if i had a 280 gallon tank or something about that size. groupers get extremely large and eat about anyhting....but since you are getting rid of it...

they wil habg out anywhere except when young like toirtis said they hid at the bottom of the tank/

pretty neat looking fish btu get way too big.

That grouper will make short work of your clowns once it gets bigger. I've seen small groupers take out dottybacks in seconds. And I'm going to echo what everyone else has said they get huge when full-grown. It's nothing like having two foot if not larger fish in your tank that will anything it can get.

Sounds like he may not have been healthy. No offense, but sounds like he was an impulse buy. You may want to try a take him back and figure out what you want your tank to be eventually and then research fish which are suitable. Also, I'd highly recommend you QT all new additions for at least 4-6 weeks to prevent introducing ich or any other disease and wiping out your ST. Good luck!

KG

Hey everyone.

Since that post I have taken the Panther Grouper back. KG, you are correct, it was very much an impulse buy.

I took it back and bought a Mexican Rock Wrasse who is super entertaining! And just yesterday i added a Blue Hepatus Tang.

It's a reef tank, so i think that may be all i'm going to have in my tank fish wise, 2 Maroon Clowns, The Mexican Rock Wrasse and the Hippo Tang...later on I may add a Spotted Dragonet, but i'd like to start focusing on more LR and Corals. The Hippo seems to be very happy! It ate a little but today too.

The only thing is still the fact that my water is still a bit cloudy. My levels are all perfect...with the exception of like 10 Nitrates...

I eliminated the direct sunlight, added a skimmer, and i'm scrubbing the algae everyday....any thoughts as to why its cloudy??

Matt

Don't know if it will solve your problem, but are you running a UV? I've heard some folks say it helped their cloudy water. Heard others say there was no dif. :?

We've all been guilty - impulse buy. Good luck with your next decision.

KG

You're cloudiness may be caused by bacteria which are fueld by DOCs. Try doing a couple of large water changes a few days in a row and make sure you do your 10% weekly water changes religiously. A UV would take care of it if that is the case. If nothing else, it should run it's course within a few weeks. Don't worry, but do the water changes.

KG

Ok. Now for my next question.

I'm running a wet dry filter. For the water change, do i just turn the pump off and stop all the syphoning...unplug the heater, then just change the water?

What would be a good way to get the filtration back up and running?

you are adding things at a way too fast rate. You should have waited a week or more between fish additions. I hope it all turns out for you.

Oh i did.

I added the other fish about 2 weeks after i added my maroons. then i added the hippo tang another two weeks after that.

The fish are fine, its just the water. My levels are good. I just cant get rid of the cloudiness.

Basically what I do is: mix up the water, clean off the glass and squeeze out the sponges, turn off the pump, siphon as much debris as I can find, pour the new water in, and restart the pump. You would only have to turn off the heater if it becomes exposed. If so, you want to turn it off for at least 15 minutes before and after. Good luck!

KG

Back
Top Bottom