Panther Grouper & Inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just bought a small panther grouper. I have him in there with a humu trigger and hermit crabs. The panther is eyeing the hermits like crazy. Whats gonna happen if he tries to eat one, with the shell? I'm thinking the grouper will either spit him back out or be in trouble with a shell in his stomach.

Also, he doesn't want to eat the freeze dried krill I give him, the LFS recommended this, what else should I feed him?

he wont be able to break thru the shells of a hermit so ya good there !!!
imo freeze dried is the worst ya could feed !!! use frozin krill he will have a easier time swallowing that !!! even after ya soak the freeze dried its still very tuff not good !!! but dont just feed krill mix it up some shrimp from the grocery store clam anything fresh !!!

Before I put in the humu, I had 2 camel shrimps, he had them for lunch and dinner! Anyway I guess I wasted 10 bucks on the freeze dried krill, I will get him some frozen krill or maybe a small feeder goldfish.

id never feed fresh water fish to a salty !! dont feel it good for them mabe some gost shrimp but that be it !!! use the dried krill for the triggers due to they bite there food more than a grouper which wants to swallow it whole ya know!!!

OK no feeders, I guess if it's not in the ocean it shouldnt be in the aquarium, you wouldn't find goldfish in the ocean!! I hope the grouper doesn't outgrow my 50 gallon tank too quickly, I heard they get up to 12" and 20" in the wild.

the fresh water shrimp imo are ok to feed them i feed my pather some mabe once a month or so !! he will out grow it but will take time unless ya stuff him every feeding then who knows !!! mines about 10-12 inchs and in a 70 and doing great for a fish that was gonna die huh or so the pet store thought hehehe

Someone in my tank got my hermit crab...legs everywhere...but I still haven't seen my panther eat. I've tried frozen brine shrimp but he won't go for it. Should I be worried??

i feed mine about everyother day about 3-4 shrimp !! id start to worry if he dont in a week but really surprised it hasnt yet they are huge pigs !! like i said the dried krill is gonna be to hard for him to swallow and brine might be to small to interest him !! go to your local store and but 1 fresh shrimp if that dont get a response id be surprised !!

yea i normally buy a big bag of people shrimp with shell on and let them go to town on it and its cheaper than buying froxen krill from the lfs !!!

Alrite, I'm going to pick up a couple of shrimp from the local grocery store to feed my grouper. Hopefully he will eat this. I'm guessing I will have to cut it up before feeding it to him.

Back
Top Bottom