Papuan vs Bennett's Toby Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amanda_marie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my marine tank mainly because I wanted to house a puffer. I've had my tank ready for some time and have been ready for the puffer for some time as well. I was waiting to have other tankmates stocked and mainly because the two puffers I have narrowed it down to had not been in stock.

Well I just checked liveaquaria and both are in stock. I'm so excited to finally be able to get my puffer. Now I'm just not sure which one I want to add to my tank.

Papuan Toby Puffer

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Bennett's Sharpnose Puffer, Canthigaster bennetti

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information out there on these two and I've read what I've came across from searching through google. I'm also a member on a puffer forum and thats where I've obtained most of my knowledge when it came to setting up my marine tank as well.

I was hoping maybe some members here have kept either puffer and could share some of their experiences.

I'm welcome to any opinions on why anyone would choose one over the other..I'm really having a hard time deciding.

Both require same care and have almost identical body shape. Its down to the colors now. The Papuan wins in this case. You will find that its colors stand out a lot more under reef lighting.

You know I am bias. Who says they're not as pretty ;)

Attachments

• image-3797878077.jpg
    image-3797878077.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2837171491.jpg
    image-2837171491.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 202
Those who have either of these fish keep them in a reef tank with a cleanup crew and shrimp?

Also how do you keep up with feedings?

I am familiar with puffers, and I believe, though no puffer is deemed truly reef safe, that these 2 are long nosed and born marine, making it my guess that you can possibly keep them in a reef tank, just make sure to have enough live food for them to graze (i.e. baby shrimp, clams, table shrimp, frozen whole foods) and a watchful eye.

However, no shrimp or crab will ever be safe from a puffer, sorry.... If you feed appropriately, though, they can last a few months, just my experience- am going to try with my nano, though, temporarily....

Both require same care and have almost identical body shape. Its down to the colors now. The Papuan wins in this case. You will find that its colors stand out a lot more under reef lighting.

Them being so similar is why its hard for me to decide. Too bad I couldn't get both :lol:

I had been leaning towards the Papuan because I did like its coloring, little more vibrant I guess. I do like the looks of the Bennett's also, that it doesn't seem as common, and doesn't have a puffer that closely resembles it like the solandri does with the papua.

You know I am bias. Who says they're not as pretty ;)

That is a lovely puffer you have there and some great photos!

I do think that both of these puffer are pretty, thats why I'm having such a hard time deciding

ktomminello I'm on the papuan side

:)

The papuan had been my top choice because its colors are more vibrant in comparison. I figured whichever between the two became available first would be the one I would add to my tank and it be made a little simple.

Didn't expect them both to come in stock at the same time :lol:

Back
Top Bottom