Par 38 Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t57spikes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are Par 38 bulbs the best for keeping all corals? If so, what wattage and beam angle should I consider, still trying to learn all of this.

Compared to the blocks of LEDS you can buy, it's a 10 gallon nano reef.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 66
Well, you have to figure out the spread of your PAR38 lamp and what type of corals you intend to keep. I have never purchased one for corals, but I use an all white one over my refugium that I got from home depot and it's got a pretty tight spread. I have it 16 inches above the water and I'm getting about a good 12" of light. The surrounding light isn't coral worthy IMO, so you'll have to place this lamp pretty high in order to get decent coverage.
That fixture you have in your post is overkill for your tank, but you can turn it down to fit your needs. HTH.

That wasn't my point. I was simply speaking of the spread I was getting, and not recommending this for a reef.

Per your absurdly expensive lamp-
Approximate Coverage: 12" x 12" x 12" at a suspension height of 12"

The PAR38 you get from home depot is good for refugium but not best for your display tank. What you can find there is a 5,000K bulb. You need close to 10,000k for corals. Here is one that I would recommend. It is 25 watt dimmable.

Orphek PR-25 Dimmable 6 Blue/6 White LED Pendant

That wasn't my point. I was simply speaking of the spread I was getting, and not recommending this for a reef.

Per your absurdly expensive lamp-
Approximate Coverage: 12" x 12" x 12" at a suspension height of 12"
^^ I completely agree
Anything you buy you get your money's worth. That bulb is meant for serious nano reef keeers.

In all honest, its insane to spend 130 dollars on a bulb. get a 70-80 dollar par38 from a website like rapidled and it will do just as well on a nano reef. Just because something is more expensive does not mean that is is better.

This is also a par38 bulb I was looking at, it has UV is that good or no? They also have an acintic blue bulb that I thought I could add as night light, what beam angle is best, 60 or 80

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 48
The PAR38 you get from home depot is good for refugium but not best for your display tank. What you can find there is a 5,000K bulb. You need close to 10,000k for corals. Here is one that I would recommend. It is 25 watt dimmable.

Orphek PR-25 Dimmable 6 Blue/6 White LED Pendant

I'm not against spending alot of money at all if this bulb is truly a good bulb and will grown corals well, and have a nice look to it. Is this a bulb ally of people use, also would I have to add an acintic bulb also for night light

Ignore the "UV" reference, it's not really ultraviolet, it's just violet. If it was ultraviolet it would do harm to your corals. 60 and 80 degree lenses are going to make this a total spot light. I would want 120 degree optics if you could find them.
I agree with Kessil over these, if you don't care about spending. According to their website, This fixture will light up to 24".

Ignore the "UV" reference, it's not really ultraviolet, it's just violet. If it was ultraviolet it would do harm to your corals. 60 and 80 degree lenses are going to make this a total spot light. I would want 120 degree optics if you could find them.
I agree with Kessil over these, if you don't care about spending. According to their website, This fixture will light up to 24".

yeah i have two of the par38 from rapidLED on my 10 gallon and soon to be 20long, they dont have a very good spread at all but are good lights none the less. Agreed if money is no concern get a kessil

The kessil a160 is a phenomenal light. I used to have the a150 and recently switched to the 160. The controllability is great and it definitely does 24". Lights up my entire 20 high and is about 6" above the water. IMO they're the best spot light led on the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom