Parasites? Things found on coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

royalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a couple of questions - I'm new to reefing, and still learning how to sort out the various little creatures associated with coral, so info/advice from you experienced people would be greatly appreciated!
This first one is a Lord Acan I've had for a couple of months now. Just recently I noticed something coming off the side of the skeleton; it looks kind of like numerous fine caterpillar hairs, the kind that could sting you. Is this part of the coral? A parasite? Sorry for the poor pictures, hopefully you can see what I'm talkng about on the left side of the coral.
The second is a bug I found when dipping some new coral today. I was guessing it was a bristle worm, but never having seen one in person wasn't sure. Is this good? Bad? I have saved it for the time being, until you can give me your verdict.
And lastly, a small hermit crab also came in with some nassarius snails. I have deliberately been avoiding crabs, so I did not put him in the tank. He is very small, in a nassarius shell, appears white in color. Will all hermits get large and start killing snails, or might one this small stay fairly small and not cause too many problems? I just don't know what to do with him!
I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but thanks for your help - just trying to learn!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 81
Sorry, trying to get pictures on

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 84
Both of these look harmless CUC members, I wouldn't start to worry unless you see something humongous, or notice fish or corals missing.

Here is a handy photo guide to common hitch hikers:
Live Rock Hitch Hikers

Back
Top Bottom