Particulate in water - micron pads for wet/dry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amahler

Aquarium Advice Activist
The last few days (after adding 45 pounds of live rock last week) have brought a pretty good load of floating particulate to my tank.

The water itself is quite clear - but the particulate is like a light sandstorm when you look closely. I think it's stuff coming off all the rock (which always looks like it has a dusty, almost cobwebby appearance to it right now).

The problem is that I've got no real means of filtering this kind of stuff. The water goes into the wet/dry which passes through a rectangular, relatively porous sponge as it hits the sump and the skimmer. On closer inspection, though, I can see the same sort of fine particles in the sump on their way back to the return pump.

Basically, I think I'm cycling the stuff and not really stopping it anywhere.

I did throw a mesh bag of activated carbon in a few days ago which is great for the clarity - but it has no impact on this kind of particulate.

I've read a good bit about micron filters and micron socks being placed in sumps, etc. I was hoping somebody might give me a more precise description of what kinds of filters they are using (examples or products I might seek at my LFS) and where they are being placed in the water flow.

Just sink it in the sump? Put it in front of the bulkhead/inlet for the return? Between the wet/dry and the sump where the sponge sits now?

The link below goes to a picture I took a week or so ago that happens to show my wet/dry arrangement. It might help in describing the placement.

http://sparhawk.sbc.edu/tank/new-rock/source/7.html

Thanks!
- Aaron

Back
Top Bottom