Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Patience sucks

Patience sucks, a fellow aquarist with a reef is offering to sell me some frags for really cheap she has an awesome display. The only issue is she has limited LPS available and mainly just SPS. I have 192W PowerCompact lighting on a 46g bow (4.18wpg) So I should stick with low light LPS and softies or purchase a new light fixture. The cheapest I could find a decent fixture was a little under $500 for about 7wpg or like $700 for 12wpg, Metal halide T5's If I am going to purchase that I might as well just go for a 100+gallon reef. Yet The tanks are huge ( I really don't need a diningroom table in my kitchen LOL) So what I am wondering is if there are SPS corals that can thrive with 4.18wpg powercompact lighting if placed high in the tank about 12" from the light source. The girl offering to sell me a frag has this one available Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Green Montipora Digitata - Aquacultured Liveaquaria states it only needs 3WPG of even PowerCompact lighting.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Digita's are pretty easy SPS. Get a frag and give it a try. I would keep it as high up as you can. I have mine about 6" directly below a MH bulb, so I can't really say how they will do with pc lighting.

On a side note, I believe UVL either has out now or will be coming out soon with a pc bulb with a built in reflector in it like their VHO bulbs. They are supposed to be a big improvement for pc bulbs.

I just checked UVL's site. Here you go.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Go with a 36" Nova Extreme Pro. Its a nice HOT5 fixture. Its 6x39w with individual reflectors. Overall it gives you about the same output as a 150w HQI. Check them out here.

Nova Extreme Pro T5 High Output Lighting Fixture - 36 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
125g~Zoanthid dominated~SPS~LPS~T. crocea~S. haddoni~2xSaddleback Clowns~Hippo, Kole, Achilles Tang~Leopard Wrasse~Flame Angel~Purple Firefish~Gobies~Chromis~3xCleaner Shrimp~2xHarlequin Shrimp~Pistol Shrimp
AquaReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
Sliced Bread

Consider the TEK T5 fixtures. slightly pricier, but the individual reflectors provide superior usable light into the tank.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
Patience sucks, a fellow aquarist with a reef is offering to sell me some frags for really cheap she has an awesome display. ...
Let's take a step back and look at your intro sentence!...

You're contemplating plunging into SPS because a friend is offering frags cheap. If you have to rebuy lights that you just bought... how cheap are those frags, really?

My guess is that unless that friend is breaking down their tank, the frags will still be plentiful in a year or so. Or if nothing else, I'm sure you can find good deals down the road. You haven't even had LPS in your tank for a month yet, and I think you're still stocking fish-wise. SPS not only requires more lighting, but a little more attention to water quality issues. If it was me, I'd let the tank mature more, get the maintenance routine down, get consistent water quality without having to think about it, THEN consider if SPS is something I want to get in to.

But I have to admit... if those Nova Extreme Pro fixtures were out when I was buying lighting - I'm thinking that's the way I would've went.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Let's take a step back and look at your intro sentence!...

You're contemplating plunging into SPS because a friend is offering frags cheap. If you have to rebuy lights that you just bought... how cheap are those frags, really?

My guess is that unless that friend is breaking down their tank, the frags will still be plentiful in a year or so. Or if nothing else, I'm sure you can find good deals down the road. You haven't even had LPS in your tank for a month yet, and I think you're still stocking fish-wise. SPS not only requires more lighting, but a little more attention to water quality issues. If it was me, I'd let the tank mature more, get the maintenance routine down, get consistent water quality without having to think about it, THEN consider if SPS is something I want to get in to.

But I have to admit... if those Nova Extreme Pro fixtures were out when I was buying lighting - I'm thinking that's the way I would've went.
I agree with you Kurt thats why I titled the thread Patience Sucks. LOL

I was looking into lighting I found the Aqualight Pro it has 150 HQI and 2 65w PC lamps. 280watts with Metal Halide (6.08WPG)
And its only 399.99 https://www82.safesecureweb.com/weba...ry_Code=CAP1HL $90 more than the Nova T5 If I upgraded my lighting which would be the better choice? With the Aqualight Pro would I be able to meet the lighting requierment of anything I wanted Or Should I Get a higher powered light so that I never had to worry about lighting ever again.

This light is 409.99 10bucks more than the aqualight and has 150wHQI and 2 96w PC's a total 342w (7.43wpg) 36" Outer Orbit 1x150W HQI-MH w/Actinic (Current)

Or I could spend $800 and get (12.5 WPG) .: Sunlight Supply - horticulture and aquarium lighting systems :. Website Probably fry everything in my tank and I would have to buy a chiller

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
I just can't believe how expensive SW lighting is. I though FW lighting for plants was pricey. Sheesh!

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
The Nova extreme Pro come with individual reflectors and includes the lights, bracket and splash guards and two fans, unlike the Tek system lights (you have to buy the bulbs, splash guards, bracket and fan)....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

SW lighting doesn't have to be that expensive. It is when you buy complete fixtures that are sleek and nice looking. If you can handle a little DIY you can cut those costs a LOT!

Kurt has a very good point on waiting a bit. I agree.

SPS corals are going to tax your water more then LPS and softies. CA levels will have to be maintained as well as Mg and others.

PC lighting and SPS don't mix well. I have my frag tank lit with 260w of PC lighting and the color and growth of my SPS is terrible in that tank. I use it as a holding pen for newly fragged corals and then put them back in my main display. I have adjustable shelves that allows me to put the SPS all the way to the water surface and it still doesn't help. T5 or MH is the way to go if you are going to get serious about keeping SPS corals. The old WPG isn't as important as the intensity of the light. If I were to change my PC lights over to T5 at 216w total I would see much better results.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaReefer View Post
Go with a 36" Nova Extreme Pro. Its a nice HOT5 fixture. Its 6x39w with individual reflectors. Overall it gives you about the same output as a 150w HQI. Check them out here.

Nova Extreme Pro T5 High Output Lighting Fixture - 36 in. | T5 Lighting | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com
I LOVE this fixture!! I upgraded recently from the pc fixture to this one and wish I would have done it when I got the tank!

C'mon Figiwigi....you might as well just get a larger tank....quit fighting it 'cause you know it's gonna happen sooner or later.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com