Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't take any pictures of it, but while I let the sand settle I cleaned out my wet/dry filter with a shop-vac. I had a few smaller pieces of LR in the filter which got it filthy with sand and rock rubble. The shop-vac worked amazing, getting the residual water, sand, and rocks clear out of there.

After over 4 hours of work, I wanted to setup the LR in the tank, but I couldn't see anything because of the murky water

(Jan 15, 2011)

Also, I bought 2 clay-glue-sticks from the "Drs." because I figured they were about the size of a pencil... I was WAY wrong! I read how many ounces it was on the site, but I had no idea there was so much. An empty gallon milk jug was the closest thing I had for a size comparison.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The dust finally settled; I am so happy how it turned out! When I was moving things around the dust kicked back up making it very hard to see where I was putting the rocks. I left it overnight and was amazed at how many caves there were after it cleared up.

(Jan 16, 2011)

My fiance preferred the blue background, but I'm partial to the black. I didn't tape it down so we can flip it later.

(Jan 17, 2011)

Here's a good shot from the left side:

Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
looking good.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

I'm betting you're gonna wanna clean the side glass after a while. Room for a hand and scraper will do.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
I'm betting you're gonna wanna clean the side glass after a while. Room for a hand and scraper will do.

My mag-float fits perfectly behind the LR on the left side (that faces the room). I'm not sure if I want to keep scraping the back/right side of the glass or just let the coraline grow.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish are here! I received a 30gal CUC, 2 Percula Clown, and 1 Yellowhead Jawfish. So it's been a few days but I wanted to make sure that the fish were going to make it. I got them through LiveAquaria.com and I was very impressed with the packaging. I tried to stay up and wait for the delivery but I ended up falling asleep, and woke up to them waiting outside (thankfully the temperature that day was 74įF). They were packed snug and even had a heat pack on top of them.

Before I opened the box, I setup my acclimation chambers in front of the tank. A bucket for each fish and the last for the CUC. Then I cut a 25ft airline tube into 4 pieces and tied a knot at the end to regulate the flow. I had I kept the bar lights on really low while I acclimated the fish (only lights in the room).

(Jan 19, 2011)

I did just as the instructions, um... instructed. The whole acclimation process, from floating them in the water to putting them into the tank took about 2 hours; which was about 7pm.

The snails/hermit crabs and clown fish took right off looking around the buckets and seemed excited once in the tank. However, the Jawfish looked almost dead in the bucket and was curled up like a horseshoe, which made me nervous. He was the last member added to the tank and when I tried to catch him he swam furiously away from the cup (which made me feel better because he felt strong and healthy, just didn't look it). When I placed him into the tank he stayed in his "horseshoe" form and just floated into the back corner of the tank.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Next morning comes and everyone is happy, except I can't find the Jawfish! I seriously looked all over the tank, using the reflection from the glass to see on the other side of the liverock and he's nowhere to be found... seriously. Some of you may have noticed I made a panic post because I couldn't see him anywhere. Well I give him a few more hours with the lights on and sure enough he pokes out from under my largest piece of LR (almost 20lbs). I thought he moved around too much under a piece and it shifted on top of him.

What an awesome fish. I watched him build his little cave, spitting out mouthfuls of sand and moving a few pieces of rock to support his den. This fish has so much personality, moving his head around at anything that moves in his area.

(Jan 21, 2011)

Old 01-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am happy to report all animals are happy and in great condition. Everyone is eating, the Clowns are swimming together, and I even watched the Jawfish wander to the complete other side of the tank. I know this picture isn't the best, but I tried to get a shot of them together (obviously not all the snails and hermits).

(Jan 21, 2011)

Old 01-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
awesome update. excellent acclimation job too. every jawfish i've ever kept ended up jumping out of the tank on me. i hope you have a good cover to prevent this little guy from doing so.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
awesome update. excellent acclimation job too. every jawfish i've ever kept ended up jumping out of the tank on me. i hope you have a good cover to prevent this little guy from doing so.

Thanks! He almost jumped out of the bucket with only a few inches of water, he was so determined. I have the stock lid on there for now, but when I get my Nova T5 I'll replace it with glass tops.

Tags
build, ick, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com