Patrick's 55-Gal Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine was really cloudy at first because of all the waste matter. Now my water is much more clear than before the powerheads.

I know it's been a while, but money has been tight but I finally got my tax return back. The very next day I ordered the Nova Extreme Pro 6x54w. According to FedEx, the fixture should be here today! I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures, especially before and after shots.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
At first I was a bit afraid that the bulbs would be broken because it didn't look like FedEx took very good care of the box, but everything was ok.

(May 11)
img_1353070_0_00fd13ec05e850b7524b03415a3d0f12.jpg

img_1353070_1_9522426f9af5e281caa07433a0fc8e57.jpg

img_1353070_2_3c2f3c5dff832e6ad99a9a4a9871e47c.jpg

Before:
img_1353070_3_b1cdfcfc19e8c310d15258600905b70c.jpg

After:
img_1353070_4_b511575960af1428f40070eaecf1978a.jpg

I have to admit, when I first turned on this light I thought it was too bright, and the fans were too loud; almost to the point I was thinking of returning. I thought about the reviews and every one of them said how happy they were with the quietness, so I didn't want to take chances.

After a few hours with the TV on, I got used to the fans, now I hardly notice them. I am still getting used to the lights, but in time I know I'll get used to it.

Last edited:
yea i have that same fixture on my 55G my corals are doing great

Looking good, thats the one I wanted but I couldn’t pass the deal I found on mine.

After a few hours with the TV on, I got used to the fans, now I hardly notice them. I am still getting used to the lights, but in time I know I'll get used to it.

This is so true. A few months from now some friends will come over and say what`s that noise and you`ll say "what noise". LOL. It happened to me also.

This is so true. A few months from now some friends will come over and say what`s that noise and you`ll say "what noise". LOL. It happened to me also.

yea this is true when i first setup my sump the pump was kinda loud now i dont even hear it

I finally purchased a refractometer from Ebay (National Industrial Supply Co.) with the 35ppt calibrating solution for about $35 with shipping. I'm really looking forward to seeing how close my hydrometer has been. I'll post pictures later.

I bought the same refractometer about a week ago! The price was right and I think it is very accurate. I like it much better than my hydrometer

uscamaro have you added any corals yet

Not yet. I have plans on going to my LFS sometime this week to get a few test kits (alk, cal, phos) and make sure my parameters are stable for corals. Also, I was gone for a few days and my actinics never shut off so I got a nice case of algae now. Hopefully my water-change and CUC will clear it up in the next day or two.

It might be another week or two before corals, I'm going to watch the Yankees play their series in Anaheim next week; otherwise I'd be getting corals by the weekend.

your tank is comming along sweet.....im in the process of starting a 34 cube reef and reading your journey is getting me very excited lol.....cant wait to see some coral in that thing

I'm baaaaaack! Hey guys and gals, since my last post, A LOT has happened financially (positive thankfully); unfortunately nothing tank-wise. My tank crashed in late summer and lost all my fish, but most of my inverts stayed alive. I got by with light feedings, water changes every few weeks, and regular top offs to keep the rest alive.

Since then, pods and bristle worms have taken over, so I just put in an order with the Dr.'s to get some fish and bring my tank back to life. Once the fish get acclimated, the polyps & corals will be back!

I look forward to making this site another daily time-killer!

Back
Top Bottom