Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of lid do you have? Would egg crate keep him in?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i think the holes in eggcrate are too large. i have seen folks make a frame out of wood and stretch bridal veil (you can buy it at the crafts store) over it and staple or glue it.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
What kind of lid do you have? Would egg crate keep him in?
Just the 2 stock hood/lights that came with the tank.

I was really thinking of going with eggcrate when I get my new light fixture, but I might have to build a screen like Doug suggested.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #64
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We have a new addition!

I've been wanting to check out this store because they claim to be the biggest coral seller in all of NV. Once my fiance and I get there she is immediately drawn to the tanks and asking, "Can we get that one, how about this one?" Of course 90% of the fish were tangs or wouldn't fit in my tank after a few months-year (thankfully I've been doing lots of research over the past few months to avoid getting something I can't realistically keep).

Anyway, we picked up a Royal Gramma for her, and a Scarlet Skunk shrimp for me. Once home I acclimated them for about 2 hours, then introduced them to the tank with the lights off (as I did with my previous livestock).

The shrimp stay in the same place on the sand for about 30min and then started to swim a bit. My jawfish chased him only for a moment, but that was the last I saw of the shrimp. The gramma is eating and doing great.

It's been 4 days and there has been no signs of him at all. I know from reading earlier posts that unless you can find any remains, then you shouldn't assume he was eaten. From the very next morning to now I have done thorough searches and can't even find a leg. The shrimp was probably 2" and my jawfish is not even 4". Could he have swallowed the shrimp whole?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Addict

it's possible that the shrimp just died and worms pulled him under the rock work to pick the carcass. i would be more concerned about the gramma killing the shrimp than the jawfish.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The gramma is barely 1/4" bigger than him; also, I haven't see any worms...yet. Could it have all happened in a matter of a few hours?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have witnessed pseudochromis attack a shrimp and kill it, but not eat it. the size is not really important. those fish are pretty aggressive for their size IME.
you definitely have worms. they are just few and hiding during the day right now. if you want to test my theory, wait till the lights go out tonight and toss some food in the tank. use a flashlight. you'll see some worms emerge.
as for the disappearance, i'm just tossing some things out there. for all i know it could be fine and just hiding.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i have witnessed pseudochromis attack a shrimp and kill it, but not eat it. the size is not really important. those fish are pretty aggressive for their size IME.
you definitely have worms. they are just few and hiding during the day right now. if you want to test my theory, wait till the lights go out tonight and toss some food in the tank. use a flashlight. you'll see some worms emerge.
as for the disappearance, i'm just tossing some things out there. for all i know it could be fine and just hiding.

Lol, thanks... I'm pretty open to anything right now, I just didn't suspect worms. What kind do you think they are? Good/bad?

Old 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think they are good if they are cleaning up the mess. hard to say what kind you have except i'm sure you have some common bristle worms.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #70
AA Team Emeritus

You got any hermits? If the shrimp died, they've likely done away with the remains.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, ick, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com