Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I considered putting the skimmer on the other side of the fuge. I am going to have a remote deep sand bed in my sump and so i wanted it before the skimmer because then extra food and nutrients will go towards feeding all the creepy crawlies in there. Kind of no good way to do it. fuge before skimmer gives more food to the life in the DSB but then you risk sucking up a few pods. skimmer before fuge puts more pods into the display but then many of the nutrients/food that i want for the fuge is skimmed out. I don't think it will make to much of a difference either way. The fuge is mainly going to be for nutrient export.

I will be keeping plenty of SPS. I have lots of frags already picked out that i want. I also like zoas a lot. Other then that it will be a mix of what ever catches my eye.

Got more work done but have not had a chance to take pictures for another update. Hopefully tomorrow after work i will get on that.
That makes sense.... and like you said, it probably won't make much of a difference anyway. Nutrient export will be the best benefit. I just over skim and do weekly pwc for my nutrient exporting.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I think in the grand scheme of things you will do better having the skimmer before the fuge. Overall nutrient removal is more beneficial than having the "extra" bits of food go to your DSB. I would opt for removing more stuff right out of the tank and let what makes it through feed the fuge. Just my thoughts.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Well it is done now so i can't change things around easily at this point. You may be right though. I don't know if many pods really end up getting sucked out by the skimmer. I will have to check and if I am losing many i can always put a sponge over the skimmer intake and just be good about cleaning it during my PWCs.

I'm a little nervious about the auto top of tank i built. I'm really hoping it works according to plan and doesn't leak. The tank is completly sealed excpet for a fitting for filling, a fitting for output to the tank, and an air hole. Problem i might run into is that the air hole is fairly small and i am worried that filling is going to be a slow because it will be restriceted by the air hole. Suppose it wouldn't be to hard to get up in there with another air hole but i would rather avoid it. I finished all the plumbing yesterday and am hoping to start filling/testing today after work. Keep your fingers crossed for no leaks.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I've got my fingers crossed!!!

Updates and pics would be cool!

I have a trip to Lowes to make tomorrow to pick up some wire. Gotta start building my lights ASAP and a stand needs to be built.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

What type of tool did you use to smooth out the silicone?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What type of tool did you use to smooth out the silicone?
It is just a little piece of plastic with the different shapes in the corner. You can pick them up at any hardware store. Just look around where ever they keep the silicone. Usually around the paint department. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it up.

Sorry i didn't get to update with some pictures tonight guys. I did get some water mixed up and have the filter running now. So in the next probably two days i should have the tank filled. More pictures tomorrow i for real this time.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looks like you're off to a great start! I'll be tagging along for sure!

@Ziggy, glad to see you have your moderator status back!
Old 08-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

more picturesss.. this thread is useless without PICS!
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:41 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

After work there will be pictures... i may have gotten a little distracted by the new starcraft last night. I put in the first 50 or so gallons of water in while i was getting ready this morning. With any luck i'll have this thing full and salt mixed in by tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo1K9 View Post
Looks like you're off to a great start! I'll be tagging along for sure!

@Ziggy, glad to see you have your moderator status back!
Thanks!

Pat,

Did you water test the tank before starting the fill with RO/DI water or is this your water test??

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com