Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
No i am just going to start filling and hope for the best. I am confident that the new seals i put in the tank won't leak. The only think i am really concerned about leaking is the plumbing/ auto top off tank. And that is something i am just going to have to get the tank running and see how it goes.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Take some pictures of this ato you built and send them to me. If you did what I think you did I may have a solution to keep if from leaking.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Take some pictures of this ato you built and send them to me. If you did what I think you did I may have a solution to keep if from leaking.
It is really difficult to see in pictures because it is built up into the corner of the stand. I drew a little picture to kinda show what i did. The auto top of tank is shown in green and the black box is my stand. The blue arrow is a fitting in the bottom of the tank that goes to a float valve in the sump. The red arrow in a fitting in the back wall and i put in a pvc line that i will use to fill the tank from. There is also a small air relief hole drillin in the top. I am hoping it won't leak but we will see. What you should do is just come check the tank out for your self :p
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	24862  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

haha your paint skills are so weak.

What did you make this tank out of? and its completely sealed?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:46 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey now don't dis my skillz.

The tank is out of acrylic and it is completely sealed. I didn't want to leave the top open because then splashing and humidity would get into the wood of the stand.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok as promised time for some pictures and updates. First picture is the plumbing. Pretty simple for the most part. No bells and whistles here. I did put a ball valve on the pressure line so that if my overflow cannot keep up with the mag 9.5 i have in the sump i can reduce the flow.

I also transferred the rock that i have had curing to the sump for right now until i can get around to moving it up in the display and aquascaping it. Will have to add more base rock to that since i was originally planning on only needing rock for a 33 gal but it has been curing for several months and will provide enough bacteria to keep up with a fish or two until the rest of the rock is cured.

I am using a new 55 gallon trash can and the wheel/dolly you can pick up at a hardware store for my salt mixing container. Makes it easy to mix large batches of salt and then just roll it over to the tank. I have a small pump that serves two purposes. First, i leave it in the trash can and it does all the mixing for me when i add salt. Second, i put a little flexible hose on there and it keeps me from having to haul and lift 5 gallon buckets of water when i am doing my PWCs. Again pretty standard stuff here.

This is how i am working the auto top off system. The tank is built into the sand and then i just used some PVC and the float valve from a toilet that will control my water level. Water will just gravity feed the system.

Kind of a difficult picture but this is looking around the back right corner of the tank up against the wall. This line runs into the back wall of the auto top off tank and then i just put a flexible hose nipple on the end of the PVC. I can then hook the same pump i was using before up to this in order to fill the auto top off tank.

Because the pump vibrates a decent amount and it is sitting right on the bottom glass of the sump i wanted a way to make sure it didn't make noise. I used some left over silicone to make little swirls on some wax paper. They are hollow on the inside and should work nicely for putting under the pump to isolate the vibration.

Last but not least a couple of other things i picked up over the weekend that i will need. Some GAC which i will be running for a couple days before i put anything in the tank to make sure any chemicals or pollutants that may have got into the water from setting up the tank are out. A mag float for cleaning the glass. Some of the sand i will be using for my DSB (which will go where the live rock is right now). A 10gallon tank and small hang on back filter which will be my QT tank. I am just going to leave the HOB in my sump so it is ready for when ever i want to add new fish.

That's all for now. Might be a little busy over the next few days but when i get more done i will post it all up.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

hahaha. I like your silicone poops.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha i didn't think about them like that but i do like calling them silicone poops. Has a nice ring to it.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
What type of tool did you use to smooth out the silicone?

They are pretty cheap. I used the rounded corner it turned out to be a bit thicker then the original seals but i would rather they be thicker then thinner
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well i moved the rock out of the sump today and started putting the sand in for the DSB. Not much to see yet since there is a giant sand storm. Still going to need more sand i think. Been having trouble finding enough. Most of my LFS will only carry a bag or two at a time.

Tags
90 gallon, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com