Pat's 90 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks i really like them as well. They still spook a little easily. If i stand right in front of the tank they will sometimes still run and hide. They are very active and in the open though most of the time.

Well it has been almost a month since i have updated on the tank. The anthias are still doing quite well. I am starting to see what i assume are either displays of dominace or courting. I still have to do a bit of reading on that one.

I feed them between 2-4 times a day and i try to mix up the foods. I have been very happy with the filtration so far. I can't say for sure that it has been the DSB that has made the difference but that is the only thing i did differently from my other tanks. My water has been testing no nitrates or phosphates consistantly. I have been doing small water changes somewhere in the ball park of every other week.

I picked up a yellow head jawfish about a week about now. He seems to be doing well but has picked a corner of the tank that is really difficult to feed. I'm hoping he will relocate.

I have been messing around with my camera trying to learn the best way to get some good pictures with only marginal success so far. As soon as i get some good shots i will put them up.

I also got some coral from a friend in the area who is having problems with the his tank. Some of the coral are not in great shape so i am going to do what i can to bring them back. They are in QT right now until i can get rid of the flat worms and move them to my main display.

Well i am still trying to mess around with my camera but here are a few that i thought would pass for the time being. I really need to find myself a tripod.

img_1173711_0_6ff14b2733e053a81784350fb10303bc.jpg

got these a while back and they are just starting to look decent again.

img_1173711_1_85548b8b4fe0621d16a09a34a2b92c81.jpg

The plate coral is doing better. It has small streaks of green but they only seem to show up when the actinics are on. I'm hoping they will continue to color up and maybe show up when all the lights are on.

img_1173711_2_7cc421b052c00c1d063449dc98d6b93b.jpg

Here is the new jawfish. He seems to be doing well. Not a great picture since the glass was a little dirty but i'll have to get a better one later.

Yeah i really like them. He has holed him self up in a corner that is making it really hard to feed him. I'm hoping he moves.

Love the pics, but yea, get a tripod, shut off all flow, and CLEAN THE GLASS

haha you caught me. Those were more just kind of test run pictures. The tank is still pretty new so there isn't a whole lot of pretty to take pictures of yet. I will get this picture thing sorted out before to long.

Bad news. I have been having a lot of trouble getting my clam to attach. About a week ago i got fed up with picking him off of the sand bed 3 times a week and decided to investigate. It turns out he had already attached him self to a tiny piece of rock that fits just inside his shell so he wouldn't attach to anything else. I decided to try glue just one half of his shell to the rock so he could still open and close. I had to go out of town for a couple days and apperently it was still restricting his movement or he was fighting against it, i'm not sure. It was already dead when i got back and tried to take him off the rock because it wasn't looking good. I feel terrible now but i didn't know what else to do. I guess i won't make any changes to my tank if i am not going to be there to watch it next time.

That sucks about your clam. The tank looks good though. Can you take a picture of the canopy from the outside? How is the heat distribution from the mh within the canopy? Do you need to run a fan?

I'll try to snap a picture or two of it. Heat isn't really a problem. The top is almost entirely open so the heat rises out of it with out much problem.

well it has been a while since i posted anything new. I have been super lazy about taking pictures and such. I have a couple new coral to show off as soon as i get some good pictures. I am hoping to get a tripod for christmas so i will be looking to play with my camera once i get that. I also owe some pictures of my canopy. Sorry

I'm not sure anyone will have experience but i thought i would throw it out there. I am thinking about getting a pair of banded pipe fish. I have read everything i can find on them but that isn't a whole lot since they are a hard to keep species. All of my current fish are very docile and so are the ones i plan on adding so i don't think that will be a problem. If i get them i plan to try and train them onto prepaired foods from live brine like people have done with mandarins. I have a 10 gal QT that i will use while i am working on that so there is nothing else to bother them. Let me know if you guys have any advice or experience.

I wouldn't do it. I'm not 100% on pipefish but with seahorses it wasn't putting them with agressive/docile fish that mattered. They had to be with docile fish more then anything because just the speed and quickness is enough to startle and stress them. Not to mention that the anthias will surely out compete them for food.

I agree with Jimbo also will mention that the flow you have in your reef will probably be a bit much for them. They are better in a species tank rather than a mixed reef.

When you put up a seahorse tank you can add the pipe fish. Both like the same conditions. Until then, just keep up the good work.
I'm ready for my frags :)

Back
Top Bottom