Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

pc bulbs

I recently picked up a 48in coralife power compact light for my 55 fowlr I'm setting up. Got it for a steal. $16 can't beat it. If I ever make the jump to reef would this suffice any kind of inverts and if so what kind? It runs 2 65w 50/50 lights.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not sure how many corals you could keep under that light, I usually see the four bulb PC fixtures. I would say you could try zooanthids and maybe some leather corals. Inverts like hermits and the such don't even need light so youre ok there.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm a noob carey but I'm not that big of a noob. Lol. I know hermits and snails and what not don't require any light.. and I kinda thought zoos and leathers would be the safest bet. And you just reenforced my ideas. Lol. I can't thank you enough for all your help and advice. Gimme a month and your going to be proud of my pics I upload. I got the 55 starting its cycle today and my 25 is due for its second rodi pwc.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice! Looking forward to seeing what you have going on.

I just threw that comment about the hermits in, sometimes the people that read these forums dont' know.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Considering I knew about 10% about sw care b4 I joined this forum I think I'm at about 80% now. My 55 is gonna be awesome sauce. And my 25 has been taking off ever since I started using that ro/di unit u recommended. My zoos are spreading and my toadstool leather has NEVER looked soo good. As soon as I can get some time with a computer I'm gonna completely redo my albums. Its gonna be sahweetah
Old 01-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Alot of people dont take the water seriously, glad you did. Considering it's the very base of any aquarium it should be top notch and ro/di is the way to go. make sure you get a tds meter so you can see when the filter needs to be replaced. I got a meter on ebay for like $9. lol

Post some new shots when you get a chance, always love pictures!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm actually going to do my pwc on the 25 in like n hr or so. Just waitin a lil longer for the gas exchange. But when I'm done. Ill snap some shots on my phone and ill rearrange my albums. Half the stuff I'm using you suggested. minus my filters I use. Ill get one of those tdh meters but (noob ?) Wht does tdh stand for? Lol
Old 01-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

tds = total dissolved solids

I'd test your tap water then your outcoming "pure" water just to see the difference. My water has 243 tds coming out the tap and 0 out of the ro/di unit.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

What Rodi unit do you use? I'm still hauling 5 gal jugs back and forth at the grocery. It's 1.95 for 5 gals and i don't test with tds meter. I would like to purchase a rodi unit soon. Just don't really know what to look for. (?)
Thanks
Old 01-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

See I still don't know everything.. lol. I changed my albums around too so If u wanna help me identify this one leather I have thad be sweet.
Haha. Unless carey has changed hers I use the one she told me she uses. Her tanks don't lie. Lol
You can find them on www.purewaterclub.com very affordable compared to other units.

Tags
bulb, bulbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com