PC Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxmoorishmanxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi everyone, i gotta quick question for you. i have a JBJ Delux Formosa Pc lighting system for my tank and its getting time to change the lights. Thing is that my LFS is selling bulbs for about 60 bucks a piece. i was online looking at bulbs and found 2 65 watt bulbs each was about 30 bucks. The thing is that they werent jbj bulbs but the pins were set up horozonatly like mine. CAn i use these lights even though they aren't made by the same company or could there be problems.

As long as the bulb is the same kind, size and wattage with the same pin configuration you can use them.. Brand doesnt really matter in that reguards... Your best bet would be to check places out online.. Check www.hellolights.com They seem to have awesome prices on lights..

HTH,
James

Yep like james said.

Make sure the pin allighnment is correct and the lenight of the bulb is the same and you will be ok. On a side note there is some marketing confusion about 65W/55W bulbs. Some places call them 65W bulbs while others call the same bulb a 55W bulb.

When changing bulbs change out 1 bulb at a time and give your fish/corals a few days to acclomate to the new bulb before adding the second bulb.

Electronic ballasts are supposed to be more efficent at converting the electricty into a usable format for the bulb as well as generate less heat in the process of this conversion. I think I have heard people say that bulb life is also longer with an electronic ballast.

I have a Coralife fixture and when looking for bulbs found this quote on hellolights.com

* Note: HelloLights bulbs will be marked "55W", but they will operate at 65W in the Coralife fixture. The ballast determines the wattage of the bulb when it comes of 55W/65W CF bulbs.

Magnetic ballasts are an older technology and are not as efficent like FF said, they also tend to be a little bit louder than electronic balasts.

Back
Top Bottom