pc, cf, actinic, 10k! Oh my!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, PC lights are, if not the most "intense" lights available for aquariums, close to it. 10k would be the temperature of the light. 5k would be more yellowish than 10k. 12k(actinic) is blue to the eye. Blue light penetrates water the most efficiently of all the other spectrums. When say a 10k and a 12k(actinic) are used simultaneously, and both are operating at the same wattage, the blue becomes invisible, your tank looks normal. Except, the actinic will "embellish" all the colors in your tank. Sometimes giving corals, etc., the appearance that they are glowing. For corals, ideally you should have 5-6 watts of light per gallon. HTH

Scratch the first line...MH lights are the most intense. oops, brain fart---these abbreviations... :roll: anyway the rest is accurate.

Don't forget T-5's. They rival and possibly exceed the intensity of PC's. AFAIK, PC and CF are different names for the same thing. What I have noticed is that, typically, the bulbs we use for aquariums are called PC's and the screw in types that are meant to replace incandescent bulbs are referred to as CF's. I'm sure this doesn't apply in every case. I have seen the aquarium bulbs referred to as CF/PC on several occasions. Here is another fixture you might want to look into. It is a little more expensive when compared to the sale price at Hello Lights, but it has moonlight.
http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...roducts/productinfo.html&item=main:pcn30265-a
You should be able to keep soft (most) corals and get good coraline growth with these lights. It won't be enough for SPS or anemones though.

VHO is certainly a valid option. The thing is, on a tank this size, you spend a good bit of money to set up a VHO system. An Icecap 430 is about $150...a 2x59 Sylvania can be had for about $25 from Lowes. The 2x59 will do a fine job lighting a pair of 55/65w PC bulbs. If you're looking for a package, a VHO retro from Champion costs about $250 with fans and reflector. A CS PC hood with 2x65 and moonlight can be had for $177.

I got my VHO kit ...2 x 75 watt for 145.00(plus the cost of the 2 bulbs) www.hellolights.com Comes with a ballast than can power upto 440 watts. upgrading should be easy and fairly inexpensive, with alittle DIY.

Back
Top Bottom