PC disappointment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been waiting and researching, and I finally buy some good PC lighting....260W for a 55 gallon. It has 2 actinics and 2 12K daylight bulbs, and even the moonlights. So I put it on my tank, turn it on, and....disapointed to say the least! It doesn't even look as good as the 40W NO bulb I had in there to start? WHY? Anybody had this experience?

Well, you can always get the right color light you want by switching out the bulbs.

What do you like?

Warmer, Cooler, brighter?

I actually like just the plain white 40W NO bulb I had in my crappy fixture to start....don't know what light range it is though.

So is your 40W warmer, cooler, brighter, darker... What is it?

Could be too blue cuz of the 12,000K bulbs. Most stick to 10,000K and a couple true actinic 03 bulbs.

definately brighter looking.....makes everything look crisp and clear and bright.....the 260 W makes everything look greenish kind of....and doesn't look near as bright

I bet too much Actinic.

Try replacing the Actinic with a 50/50 and see how it looks.

so should I replace the 03 actinics with 50/50's or should I replace the 12K with 10K's?

Well...

I would replace the actinics.

Yellow/Blue make green.

Since the 12K is kinda the yellow half of that, I am thinking the main prob is coming from the actinics.

If you get rid of them, maybe tone the blue down (by getting a 50.50 or something) it would get rid of more of that green.

Dont get rid of the actinics unless its a full actinic PC bulb (both bulbs are blue). Get the 50/50s. You might also consider your bulb arrangement. I have my actinics towards the back of the tank to give the back a deeper, darker look.

And contrary to everyone else, I would replace the 12k's with something warmer, or more white. The actinic bulbs help a bunch as they supply a needed wave-band.

Consider 20k or 10k bulbs, and place them in the slots that are nearer the front of the tank.

Personally I dislike any yellow light. It makes the whole tank look not so illuminated. More dull. More anti-dislexic (ok, poor joke). But anyways, my basic lighting is similar to yours... but on twice the tank. Used in combination with my NO flourescents, it comes out looking mighty pretty. :)

Sorry for your displeasure :(

well, it has two 03 actinics and two 12K bulbs. So you're saying replace the two 12K bulbs with 50/50's? (4X65W)

Well the normal NO lighting may look brighter but the penetration is a whole lot better with the PC's. Ask your corals which one it likes better......ok, your future corals maybe..

anyway, just toss the NO's up there with the pc's and BAM there you have it.. :D

PS. I know what you mean. Since I upgraded my tank to a 125 I am having to use the CF that were on my 75g until I can upgrade in a few weeks. They are pretty dim when alone. The tank came with two sets of NO lighting and they are almost as bright as the compacts. So I leave them all on.

that's actually a pretty good idea rev, I think I'll try that. (and cheaper too :lol: )

:( i JUST bought the same setup lighting as yours, just waiting for it to arrive.

kinda sad now, i hope my opinions diferent then yours. I wanted to get the 10k instead of the 12k, but the seller said he only had 10k in 55 watt not the 65s. So i figured the less wattage, would look the same anyhow with the actinics. :(:(:(

First I may be wrong, but from what I understand, the PC bulbs are actually 55/65Watt and the output is determined by the ballast. That is to say that a 55 watt bulb on a 65 watt ballast will be a 65 watt bulb and vice versa/

On a second note, I read one of the earlier posts in this thread and it said something like definitely brighter and then on the next line not as bright, I am confused. In my opinion, I think it would be the 12K that are the problem, if it is green now and you take away the actinic it will be yellow. If that is the case, then they are not really 12K and they should be replace. I would go with 20K PC because I like the bluish tint-- you know of water.

awwww,now im more upset, that i could have gotten the right colors, if your correct madman. :uhoh: i guess u got to live and learn :?

but 1 thing to correct you madman, i think 12k is more bluish then yellow. Yellow is lower on the light spectrum(6700k is yellow). 10k is white.

Back
Top Bottom