Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to Loki4711
PC timing

What should i set the timers to on my PC has 65w(2) 10K, 65w(2) Actinic? and how far apart should i turn them on?

35 gallon hex salt water tank
4 in. sand bed
25lb LR
10 gal sump refugium
berlin air-rise proteine skimmer
60 gal. wisper power filter
1 damsel, 1black urchent, 1 arrow head crab, 1 red baned shrimp, 1 coral banded shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1 sandsifting star, 3 mexican tubo snails
Loki4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
These are tropical fish so there native environment has long days so you want around 12 hours of light. The final length will be determined by what life you have in the tank and how they respond. Have the actinics come on first and go off last. I have them come on an hour before and stay on an hour after. Less stress for the fish. I sure others will offer their advice and reasoning.

EJS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Depending on the number of ballasts you have will depend on how flexable your going to be. As was suggested most will start and end their light cycle with the actinics and then bring up the 'white' lights an hour or so after the actinics go one. Total light exposure should be between 11 and 13 hours. I have my tanks comming on around 11 and 12 daily so the lights are on in the evening when most will view the tanks.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I do the same as fishfreak - actinic comes on first, then the 10,000k. at the end of the day, the actinic runs by itself again...sort of a dawn/dusk idea, but primarily i do it so the fish don't get hit with 192watts at 10am.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm in the same boat. Act hour before and after the main lights.
A sudden change in lighting can spook fishes into jumping and IMO having act come on before and off after the main lights will help.
Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com