Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
PC to T-5 Question

I have a PC fixture. and like all PC lights, mine have lost there intensity and are causing lots of algae.

What i want to do is take out the PC bulbs (which ive already done) and put in some T-5. would this be possible, or even safe? The prongs on the bulbs look alike, but i want to be sure. I really like my fixture, and dont want to have to buy a new one.

beano1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would say no . You could retro but I would not try to fit a round peg to a square hole so to speak . I am not an electrician but you could be setting yourself up for a a very serious situation , such as fire or shorting out and causing an electrocution situation . Not worth it in my opinion , it is cheeper and safer to either retro or by a diffrent unit made for T5s

Nanoreefing site
2 nanos
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would just replace the CF bulbs with new CF bulbs...especially if you are happy with your fixture.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

The easiest thing to do is just the replace the PC bulbs every 7 - 9 months. You could dump the PC fixture and buy a new T5 fixture (correct reflector, ballast, holders, etc.), or buy a MH/T5 combo fixture so you don't have to this again in a year.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree. You cannot put a T5 bulb into a PC fixture. If you like the PC's, just keep them and buy new bulbs, else you need to buy an entirely new fixture.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
^ or you could double check with your vendor and see if all you need is a new set of endcaps to go w/ T-5 bulbs. There's a more than fair chance that your PC ballast would work w/ some combination of T-5 bulbs, but things won't go well unless you use the right bulbs & endcaps.
squawkbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I definitely think you should not do it either. If the bulbs are causing the algea then just change to PC bulbs.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com