PC's good enough??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ntswift

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i was wondering what kind of corals I could have with 130w PC's in my 29 gal? I'm a beginner so if you have any suggestions on the best kind to get that would be awesome! TIA

You should be OK on just about any of them. That`s over 4 watts per gallon. But someone said that watts per gallon is old school so maybe there`s a new formula out there

Here's a list of the corals I've got in my 29 gallon, under 130watts PC lighting:

Hammer
galaxia
Green richordia
feather duster
Open maze brain
orange sand polyps
green zoa's
green star polyps
Red mushrooms
Green favia (moon coral)
neon green claustrea
claustrea
red lobo
Pulsing xenia
tooth coral
Pink zoa's
mint green zoa's

All doing well.

Yea, i agree with those guys. 130W is good enuf for 29G to keep any corals and anemones. One thing is i don't think u'll be able to keep clams

Thanks guys for the help. i went out and got some hammer coral and plate coral and another kind that i dont remember what it was called. its orange and looks like little volcano crevices. Its really cool, but thanks again!

Love the question!!! I'm currently in the market for a 2X65 watt PC setup for my 29gal. myself!

What lights did you go with?

i went with the jbj's. They are awesome! Just make sure you buy the stand with it because I didn't and ended up bumping my lights into my tank twice before i finally got the stands. :( They are well worth the money though! HTH

what kind of corals I could have with 130w PC's in my 29 gal?
Most softies, LPS, and lower light anemones ie. bubble-tip, will be fine. Stay away from high light corals such as Maxima and Crocea clams, and most SPS's. Also remeber anemones require mature, stable tanks of at least 6 months age.
and another kind that i dont remember what it was called. its orange and looks like little volcano crevices.
Keep in mind it is always best to research any new additions before buying/adding them. Some corals are non-photosynthetic, filter-feeders. They require daily additions of plankton-be it zoo, phyto or both- to survive ie. sun corals, some Gorgonias, etc. Feeding these foods can be very challenging and demanding for even well experienced hobbyist.
Best of luck w/ the tank.

Thanks for the advice! i've had my tank up and running since november so I'll hold off on the anemone for a little while. I will do some research and get back to you all on what kind it is. I agree that i should have researched it some before i bought it, but i have been dealing with this guy who has been in the business for 41 years, who said i would be fine with it. Of course I take all the advice from a LFS with a grain of salt no matter what until i get on here and ask! :) thanks again!

Just found the reciept and it says they are sun polyps, but when i looked them up they look a little bit different. there are no tenticles on them at all nor are there and reminents of them. I'll try to post a picture if i can get a hold of a camera.

Jermz79 said:
Love the question!!! I'm currently in the market for a 2X65 watt PC setup for my 29gal. myself!

What lights did you go with?

I just purchased these 2x65 PC with moonlights at Big Als.

A great deal imho

http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29619;category_id=2281

Here it is on top of my 3 week old 29g
rock.jpg

RFC

Mine clam lived in a a 72g w/ 4x65 PCs. Didn't dose calcium or anything, just PWCs.

He did get to about 6 or 7" long. Of course that 29 is gonna get bigger anyway, right? I'm thinking 130w on a 29 is no big deal, but a larger tank w/only 130w might not work.

ryguy said:
Here it is on top of my 3 week old 29g

I'm concerned that at 3 weeks old the tank is still cycling with animals in it. Did you buy fully cured LR? what are your parameters?

No need for concern, the live rock was from an established fishtank of several years, thus it was fully cured.

Water:
78 F
sal 1.024
NH3 -0
NO2 -0
NO3 -10
Corelife super skimmer
Fluval 205
45 pounds of live rock

Current Bioload - 2 clowns, 7 snails, 2 scarlet hermit crabs, 1 cleaner shrimp

Soon to add some corals :D

austinsdad said:
Assuming you added all those corals some time AFTER the 3 week old tank shot. How long has it been set up?

I guess my photo is not that clear. There are no corals in my tank at this time

45 pounds of live rock from an established fishtank of several years.

My setup is 3 weeks old and I am a total noob !

Thanks for the comments :D

Back
Top Bottom