Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pearly Jawfish...?

Thoughts? Difficult to keep? For a 40 gallon breeder... Thanks.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The only problem with keeping a jawfish in a 40b is that they need a 5"-6" deep sand bed which leaves very little room for water in a short tank like that.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I saw that too... Is that an in stone guideline for the sandbed? My sandbed is 4-5" probably. It's 90 lbs of sand in there...
Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It's pretty important. They will make a burrow to stay in in the sand bed. They are also escape artists and commonly go carpet surfing.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your sandbed is fine for one they dig under rocks to make their home not that deep. Make sure your rocks are stable. Get one that is nice and fat they can have a internal parasite that cause them to be thin with a normal head which leads to death.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Pretty fish and not really difficult. If you can set the rock work up so he can burrow under the rock and make a cave then you should be good. They do jump though so I would go with a covered tank, specially since its not a very tall tank.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Pretty fish and not really difficult. If you can set the rock work up so he can burrow under the rock and make a cave then you should be good. They do jump though so I would go with a covered tank, specially since its not a very tall tank.
Would this rock work be ok Carey??
Old 10-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sorry here's the pic lol...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2059488072.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	203211
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If the rocks on top are very secure then it should be fine. Nice aquascape by the way.

When they dig under a rock the rock canshift so you have to be sure its sturdy. I came home once and a large, maybe 40 lb rock had fallen almost against the glass, my silly engineer goby was digging a bit too much one day. lol
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If the rocks on top are very secure then it should be fine. Nice aquascape by the way.

When they dig under a rock the rock canshift so you have to be sure its sturdy. I came home once and a large, maybe 40 lb rock had fallen almost against the glass, my silly engineer goby was digging a bit too much one day. lol
Ahhhh thank you for the scape compliment It took me a couple tries but I found the sweet spot. Do the pearly jawfish actually dig as much as the engineer gobies, or do they do more burrowing? I had the same thing happen to me before I re-homed mine to the LFS... Seemed like my engineer goby was an interior decorator of my 55 gallon...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com