Pearly Jawfish...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only problem with keeping a jawfish in a 40b is that they need a 5"-6" deep sand bed which leaves very little room for water in a short tank like that.

I saw that too... Is that an in stone guideline for the sandbed? My sandbed is 4-5" probably. It's 90 lbs of sand in there...

It's pretty important. They will make a burrow to stay in in the sand bed. They are also escape artists and commonly go carpet surfing.

Your sandbed is fine for one they dig under rocks to make their home not that deep. Make sure your rocks are stable. Get one that is nice and fat they can have a internal parasite that cause them to be thin with a normal head which leads to death.

Pretty fish and not really difficult. If you can set the rock work up so he can burrow under the rock and make a cave then you should be good. They do jump though so I would go with a covered tank, specially since its not a very tall tank. :)

Pretty fish and not really difficult. If you can set the rock work up so he can burrow under the rock and make a cave then you should be good. They do jump though so I would go with a covered tank, specially since its not a very tall tank. :)

Would this rock work be ok Carey??

Sorry here's the pic lol...

image-2059488072.jpg

If the rocks on top are very secure then it should be fine. Nice aquascape by the way. :)

When they dig under a rock the rock canshift so you have to be sure its sturdy. I came home once and a large, maybe 40 lb rock had fallen almost against the glass, my silly engineer goby was digging a bit too much one day. lol

If the rocks on top are very secure then it should be fine. Nice aquascape by the way. :)

When they dig under a rock the rock canshift so you have to be sure its sturdy. I came home once and a large, maybe 40 lb rock had fallen almost against the glass, my silly engineer goby was digging a bit too much one day. lol

Ahhhh thank you for the scape compliment :cool: It took me a couple tries but I found the sweet spot. Do the pearly jawfish actually dig as much as the engineer gobies, or do they do more burrowing? I had the same thing happen to me before I re-homed mine to the LFS... Seemed like my engineer goby was an interior decorator of my 55 gallon...

The engineer constantly digs while the jawfish will probably dig once to make his burrow and be done with it, unless he decides to move. lol

Back
Top Bottom