Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webguy_12 View Post
This is the before pic...they keep loading upside down
Yeah see yours still looks pretty healthy...mine's flesh is slowly receding now but i dont know why!
Do you feed yours at all? Like do you target feed it any mysis shrimp or anything like that that? And where in your tank are you keeping it?
....just out of curiosity because it looks to be doing rather well(better than mine) and I've never even able to find any concrete info on pectinia care. I had it for months and now it's slowly taking a poop..I really want to save it

Old 03-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Pectenia cup

I would suggest a lugol's solution dip just in case of any infection. Depending in your lighting move it to a shaded area. With t5HO 2 10000k white and 2 actenic mine did just fine mid to lower level in the tank. when i added the led strip it must have been too intense even though it was only the blue spectrum. im trying it in a well shaded area now where it gets more difuse light. also if you notice any debris laying on it such as food or anything else be sure to remove that manually or adjusting the water flow. they seem to do well with low to moderate flow. Mine has always been a pretty hardy coral but make sure your water parameters are in check.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh and as for feeding I believe they are mostly photosynthetic but I target feed reef snow or DT's live phytoplankton a couple times a week. Both work well you can also broadcast feed the tank everything will benifit from it. Just don't over do the DT's or u will get an alge bloom. Think of the system as a minimalist if that makes sense...in other words it should be on the edge of starvation feed it only what it needs do not over do it. Target feeding this coral with phytoplankton may be the best way to go
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A pectinia is not going to eat phytoplankton. You would be wasting your time and water quality. Big mouths= big food. Mysis, chopped fish, something like that would be ideal.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Big mouths big food is very true but since ours do not extend tenticals like others I have seen I feed phytoplankton. When I feed the mouths open up, I've never seen mine eat a mysis shrimp but its worth a try. If it works do it. Mine has always been happy and has grown to almost 10 inches across from about 3 when I got it. Very slow grower and slow to recover
Old 03-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have one that i had to move to the sandbed when I upgraded to LED lights. The only spot feeding I've ever done is with cyclopese and it seems to be doing great. It's one of my older corals and I've never had an issue with it until the intense light bleached the tips, I moved it down and its nice and green again. Great looking coral IMO...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animal-Chin View Post
I have one that i had to move to the sandbed when I upgraded to LED lights. The only spot feeding I've ever done is with cyclopese and it seems to be doing great. It's one of my older corals and I've never had an issue with it until the intense light bleached the tips, I moved it down and its nice and green again. Great looking coral IMO...
Yeah I have mine under an over hang on the sandbed now...and I'm gonna dip It. I have vho LEDs I've fed it mysis in the past and it always ate but never like progressed. I'm really just having a problem with all my chalice-related corals right now all bleaching and/or receding. The lights just too much. I've moved it up at least 6 inches in the past few days and it hasn't seemed to make a difference so far
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
It will take more than a few days for something like that to make a visible difference. A few weeks maybe.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
It will take more than a few days for something like that to make a visible difference. A few weeks maybe.
Yeah it's just a waiting game now I just have a bad feeling. It's a cool coral and I paid a good price for it..I'd hate to see it die

Tags
cup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com