Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to pelochas Send a message via Yahoo to pelochas
pelochas's startup questions, tank, log

*** i edited my subject title from "cleaning live rock" to that above simply because i can keep up with the answers and question i have and stop from going back and forth to other posts i made.***

ever since i added my Live Sand to my tank and then the LR, my LR looks dirty and muddy. In areas where i can move my power head to blow the area off i have had success in getting the rock cleaner and have some nice purple color coraline show now. I should have waited for the tank to clear after i added the sand.

Is it bad for the LR to be covered up with sand?

How would you clean this off?

Is there a specific brush to clean?

Old 09-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If its just sand then use the power head or turkey baster. This is a new tank? If it is then wait for the cycle to end and then get a clean up crew, snails and crabs will clean the LR for you.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah a new tank. my tank's readings are near normal. I dont remember them off my head but i wonder if i will have a minimal cycle because of the LR and LS. It has been three weeks and the all the readings are near normal. The LS did come with a few small snails and they are crawling around leaving their tracks all around the LS and on the glass.

One thing that does have me wondering is that there were a few more snails and a couple or larger snails about the size of a dime. They have both died i beleive, the shell is there upside down, not move at all for a few days. The other smaller snails, size of a eraser from a pencil, are still cleaning but i see fewer now.

Is something killing them and what should i test for? I have a master saltwater test kit but i know im missing another test.

Some of the LR is covered in sand but some of it looks furry.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like you have not had a cycle, What is near normal? We need numbers here on the site to help you out. How much LR and where did you get it, was it cured?
You might have to add a cocktail shrimp from the supermarket to get the cycle going it you don't have enough LR or any die off.
Tell us about the tank, size, lights, salinity etc...
Snails may be dead because they were not acclimated, some types of snails if flipped on there backs can not right themselves. I use a pair of tongs and flip them back over all the time.
Don't add any other critters or fish till you are sure the tank is cycled.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

90 lbs of Live Rock
Purchase from a local hobbyist who was moving out of the US due to job relocation.
She had the live rock approximately 3 months in a tub with the LS, protein skimmer, PC light, and a pump. She was going to start her SW but had to relocated.Dont know if was cured. Forgot to ask.

I have a 75 gal tank, 48" long.
4x65w CF Coralife lights = 10,000k and Atnic

Salinity is bit high, 1.023~1.022

readings on 9/18/05, my first readings, i could not really see which color match best
Nitrate NO3 = 0~0.5
Nitrite NO2 = 0
High Range pH = 8.0
Ammonia NH3/NH4= 0.25~0.5

reading on 9/26/05, better color match readings
Nitrate NO3 = 10
Nitrite NO2 = 0
High Range pH = 8.2
Ammonia NH3/NH4= 0

Tank was filled with RO/DI water from my Kent Maxxima filter, added salt.
Added the LS and LR. Snails were all added later after few hours of acclimation. Not much life on the LR except the coraline. All the snails were removed from the LS before adding them to the main tank. All the snails were doing fine for the past two weeks until recently. Only thing that was change was the addition of more RO/DI water to fill the tank up. About 7 gallons of RO/DI was added in two days. I havent done a water change yet.

im not planning for any fish for at least a couple of months. should i add the shrimp or wait a few more weeks?

thanks for the help,
Old 10-03-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

should i add the shrimp or wait a few more weeks?

I currently have a 1 Maxi Jet 1200. I also have a Quite One 4000 ((1017 gph) with about 5 feet of overhead so rougly 700 gph now)in the sump for my return. More tank details are above.

New question. I am going to buy 1 more Maxi Jet 1200. All my output from my return from my sump is shooting straight down the very center of the tank. Sand is slowly being pushed out and created a pit. Many areas of the LR has sand and needs good water circulation. Mainly down below and behind. Im really looking at something to push water thru every crack and hole of the "wall" of LR i created.

so whats is best,
a SCWD with a couple of U tubes inline with the return sump pump?
a wavemaster pro with another MaxiJet?
a power head with self rotating output?
a wavemaster pro, maxi jets and a SCWD?
i dont want to spend too much but ebay has many options.

this is not for a reef tank. im not even close to that level yet. please comment on the previous post also. thanks,
Old 10-03-2005, 09:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

some help here please, awaiting for some aquarium advice before i spend some hard earn money
Old 10-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think your tank did cycle. If you had some dead snails then those foul things would cycle the tank on their own. If you added cured rock from a local store it already had bacteria on it, as well as the sand. Personally I would do a WC to lower the nitrates. Is the skimmer working? If your tank cycles and you do not feed the tank or add a fish then your bacteria population will die back down. Why are you waiting so long to add a fish? You need to add a fish or feed the tank once the cycle has completed. Are you still having cloudiness issues?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenden
Is the skimmer working? Why are you waiting so long to add a fish? Are you still having cloudiness issues?
the skimmer is not working. i will start this now. i did do a test and see water come out but notice nothing on the cup.

my cloudiness issue is gone. i even removed the LR becuase i did not like how i prevousily arrange them at first, while doing this the cloudiness issue was minimal and cleared withing a couple of hours.

i have more of a micro bubble issue now. all the microbubbles are coming from my sump. i dont have baffles, what can i do to stop the bubbles?

TIA
Old 10-03-2005, 11:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will take a few days for the skimmer to start working properly. It needs a layer of slime to produce foam like it should. With the cloudiness issue settling in a few hours after rearranging your rock I would say your cycle is complete. Bacteria on the "dust" causes it to settle. You can try some filter material to stop the bubbles. I have never had a bubble issue in my setup, someone else could help you more on that. I would add a fish or keep feeding your tank to keep the bacteria population up. Once you get the skimmer set it will help with your nitrate levels.
Quote:
Salinity is bit high, 1.023~1.022
Most people including myself keep SG at 1.025

Tags
log, startup, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com