Pencil Urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I found what i believe to be a pencil urchin on one of the rocks from LR.com today. Does anyone know where I can find info about them as far as keeping them in a tank goes. So far all i can find is stuff about them in the wild. Only captivity info i can find are on ones from indo-pacific region

Probabley a rock boring species (Echinometra sp). They will usualy do fine if they have enough veggie matter to consume, don't really require much in the way of extra care. They are also coralline strippers so watch the rock :wink:

Cheers
Steve

that coralline part doesnt sound too good, especially since i need to get some to grow! reading other posts, urchins can bulldoze corals from rocks, and i plan on keeping coral in this tank...should i get rid of him?

Can you post a pic? While still small they are rarely a concern. Once it gets larger though you may need to find it a new home.

Cheers
Steve

I had one of those and got rid of it when i started keeping coral. they are very clumsy and I wouldnt want them knocking over any corals. I do think, however, that they help spread coralline by pooping the spores everywehre.

Definately not a keeper in the long run. I'm sure you could get a store credit from the LFS if you took it in though. They are always looking for stuff like that.

Cheers
Steve

I have this guy and he eats Coraline not too much though... He spreads it VERY fast through... I noticed more growing everywhere since I got him...
He carries stuff EVERYwhere with him. I'll post more pics. You can't really see him now. He's a garbage man that carries stuff around...
tux1.jpg

i had a pencil a while back but took him back when he dragged my sand sifter star into the rocks and ate one of its legs,

Nice Tux ......I bet he looks pretty cool stepping out.
The pencil urchin will do more harm then good in the long run according to the link you posted clamknukle.

Back
Top Bottom