Pendants Any comments ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im thinking of maybe going with a pendant instead of PC's on my 58 gal tank. The pendant im looking at is at :
http://store.yahoo.com/lamps-now/25penfix.html

anyone know any good and bad with these my tank demensions are 36Lx18wx18d. The site recommends a 250 watt 20k MH bulb for my tank size does that sould right? Another question would this pendant cover my entire tank? Or would a 175w MH be enough light for my tank?
Need a reply plz asap! thanks :D
Input plz!

I would definitely go with a horizontal pendant instead of the vertical pendant you linked. The vertical "bell" pendants have very poor light distribution, and on a 36" tank would leave a bright spot in the middle with very dark edges. If you are looking to use a single halide, I would recommend a good horizontal mounted pendant of at least 250w from a company such as PFO, Sunlight Supply, or Aqualine. Personally I would also go for a lower kelvin bulb and find a pendant that includes supplemental flourescent lighting (VHO, NO, or PC). HTH

ok well im planning on having the tank with fish and corals. and ive looked at retro fit kits all over and it seems to be the cheapest prices at hellolights.com
i was looking at the combos of lighting with 2 PC's and 1 MH 250watt. But i was thinking of going with a PC retro-fit kit 4x96 with 2 10k and 2 03 attinics and its cheaper that way i would have the intensity at a lower cost what you think? or possibly thinking of this kit:
http://store.yahoo.com/lamps-now/36reflectors.html
Would that work for my 58gal or do you think that the attinics are too small and the metal halide isnt big enough?

The most important question is what do you plan to keep as far as corals for the longterm? If you see yourself trying high light SPS and tridacnid clams then I would defintely recommend purchasing a halide set up now. If you have zero interest in these corals and instead want to keep softies, mushrooms, LPS etc. then flourescent lighting might be perfect for you. A lighting purchase is definitely a major decision, but the best advice I can give you is don't take the cheap route now if you see yourself upgrading in the future. I know I've spent 3 times as much money buying every lighting system possible until I finally ended up shelling out the cash for the system I wanted in the first place :D Personally, I don't really like PC's and would recommend a 175w or 250w MH with VHO actinics. Bulb replacement cost is another thing to consider with PCs, 4 x $30-40 every 8 months or so versus $70-80 yearly for a 10k halide and $40 every 12-18 months for 2 VHO actinics. Not a huge difference, but something to consider. Anyway, sorry for the long post, and I hope at least some of it was helpful :D

thanks just another question, the retro-fit kit at:
http://store.yahoo.com/lamps-now/36reflectors.html
would that be good enough for my tank if im thinking of doing sps and clams? its 1-175watt MH with 2-30watt attinics, is that going to be good enough? With that kit its not upgradeable so would that work? They give me the choice of the MH also: a 5500, 6500, 10,000, or 20,000k bulb what would work the best ?

I think this would be better, go to www.oceanencounter.com and pick up the following:

-36" PFO parallel reflector with 1 socket ($78.95)
-PFO 175w MH ballast ($73.95)
-175w Ushio 10k Bulb ($62)

Total: $215

Then go to hello lights and get the dual VHO retro for $135

http://www.hellolights.com/2lampvhokit.html

For $350 (plus cost of 2 VHOs) you get a much better reflector, VHO actinics instead of NO, and an excellent 10k bulb. You could also go for the 250w ballast and 250w bulb for about another $50. :D

Whats PFO? And i cant find anything on that site i must be an idiot! can you give me the links of what things you are talking about that will help thanks! :D im dying over here i just figured out what you are thinking thats a good idea are VHO good? What kind of vhos would i get? Do i have to buy lamp clips also? and how do i mount the vho sockets? They say that the MH ballast will have to be done by a certified electrician is that true?

Hey Gooyferret PFO is the maker of the lighting system. They dont sell directly to the public but most online stores carry thier products. I would recomend the 250 watt MH, that way if you upgrade later on in tank sizes the lights will still work for you. The kits you have linked are retro kits, this means that they must be installed in some kind of a pre existing canopy. If this is the route you are taking then as MR294 suggested the 250 watt retro MH with a 36 inch reflector is good, then another retro vho kit is a good plan to.
Here is an option for you
get a single 250 watt PFO ballast thier around 99 bucks
lt_mh_pfo_single.jpg

then you get a mugul soket and reflector for around 30 bucks
lt_mh_pfo_optimal.jpg

that takes care of the MH and it all just plugs into each other. You pick the color of bulb you like.
No if you want a VHO or PC set up, you can get one like this. It has everything you need and is simple to put together. It runs for about 225.
ICK362.jpg

wouldnt a 4x96 watt PC's retro-fit be good enough with 2 10k white, and 2 attinic 03 ? I am planning on mounting them in a canopy so thats the plan. What can i use that may be cheaper? OR how about this setup would this be better than the PC's?
1 175w 10k MH Ushio with,
2x96w PC's attinic 03

WHICH is going to be better the 4x96 pc's OR the MH combo with the PC attincs? Is 1 - 175watt and 2attinc 03's going to strong enough lighting for sps?

If you plan to have some SPS and clams eventually, then I would go with a halide with actinics rather than a 4x96w PC set up.

4x96w PC would be enough light for some SPS, but I would avoid cluster, bush, and other dense growth form Acroporas. I would also avoid any of the 1st grade or ultra grade Maximas as well as Croceas. Montipora sp., Seriatipora, Porites, T. derasa, T. squamosa, and gold T. maximas should do fairly well, although growth and color achieved may not be optimal.

Back
Top Bottom