Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

factorboa

Aquarium Advice Activist
Peppermint shrimp ate 2 cleaner shrimp so far,all the shrimps have been together for 2 months? i read about it on sites now and found out they may eat them never heard that before until i c him do it, Will they harm the fish ?

Are you sure they are Peppermint shrimp? I've had my Peppermint shrimp for about a year now and added a Cleaner shrimp about 4 months ago and they get along just fine. I've heard stories of a Camel Shrimp or Blood Shrimp get aggressive and eat a Cleaner but never a Pep.

I'm betting the cleaners were already dead from some other reason. Then , the peps were just doing the job any self respectig shrimp would do.

And no they won't harm the fish - but they will eat them if they die.

hello and thank you for replying, i wish they werent peppermint shrimp but they are i have read about them kill other breeds of shrimp, basically a cleaner shrimp was cleaning and a pepper mint shrimp came out and grabbed a cleaner shrimp and ran off with it, i have 6 peppers and did have 6 cleaner shrimp ina 460litre tank but have 4 cleaner shrimp,i have found out alot of answers to my questions and didnt relise it, unless it is just a bad shrimp the other 5 r fine and dont do anything until he kills it :) lol.

heres 1 of the sites i found it on and others as well
Peppermint Shrimp Profile - A profile and information about the Peppermint Shrimp
its says that so am right the cleaner shrimp was healthy and fine, weird i know

heres a bit on the site
Characteristics:

Peppermint Shrimp are nocturnal and very shy during the day, protecting themselves from predators by staying out of sight most of the time. However, at night when the big boys are napping, this shrimp forages the system looking for a meal.
The Lysmata wurdemanni is generally peaceful with other tank inhabitants, but may not get along well with Coral Banded Shrimp of the same sex, and may pick on other shrimp species as well. <P> To help with proper molting of this shrimp, supplemental iodine should be added to the system. Like with all invertebrates, this shrimp is sensitive to copper sulfate and high nitrate levels.

i was just wondering anyone know if they would do it to the fish also? or is it cause the peppermint shrimp is just a bully?

i know if i can get a pic of them then i show u they r peppermint but hard to they r shy dureing the day, they arent camel shrimp but camels look nice. I brought peppermints to sort out my apitasia when it started growing tand my peppermint shrimp sorted it out and didnt have to inject it, its just what i saw and couldnt beleve it what the peppermint did to the cleaner shrimp.

You must have some psycho peppermint shrimp then... my experience with them is that they're afraid of their own shadow. Even though I don't have a peppermint right now, I kept one with a skunk cleaner for a couple years with no problem - until the peppermint up and died on me.

weird...my peppermints are terrified of my cleaner shrimp. Then again, my cleaner is easily twice their size. Are your peppermints bigger than your cleaner?

1 peppermint shrimp is bigger than 2 he had that probally it was, the other cleaners r bigger than him, do you think that what it was? yesw nelson i must have psycho peppermint lol weird never heard of it before from anyone i just saw him grab him and take him away and split him in 2. I think i keep an eye on him . if he gets 2 bad i take him to a shop.

I did have one of those pyscho peps before. I was trying to remove a sick, nearly dying fish with my hand and the big pep nearly attcked my finger trying to get at the fish.

Otherwise, true that they're afraid of their own shadows for the most part.

lol psycho i must have 1 of them lol, so your hand a bit of fright lol is it ok ? lol. yeah i gess that is must a be a bit of psycho shimp But thank you very much for your help anyway :) it is good to know :) thank u

That sounds seriously odd for a pep. Do you know how to tell the difference between peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp? Some places will sell camels as peps, or even have camels mixed in with peps.

Even for a camel it's a pretty bold move to snatch another shrimp up, but more like them than peps.

yes i know first time i heard of it and it is odd first time i c a camel shrimp when u or someone else put a link up :), 100% it is a pepper mint and it is odd thats why i was asking the experts like u and others do u all know why :) hehe i cant c any cleaner shrimp now :) so he must of had them all unless they r hideing well. so he gotta come out i think the biggest 1 the rest r fine and its only just 1 the 1:) nevermind thank u jaybird also :) they r must be a few psycho peppermints out there lol

hehe have finaly got my peppermint out and took him to a shop and told them what he was like and they said that was weird u sure it aint a camel i showed him to them and they said what a psycho peppermint lol , so i have 2 cleaner shrimp left and happy and 5 other peppermints

They might not be peppermint. But who knows. I had one eat an oyter and a clam and my favorite acon. It took me 6 weeks to get him out. I dont know what he was but everyone said that can't happen. You should take him out. Once mine went "rogue" he was thirsty for the blood of anything he could get. I fed him to a scorpion fish. nice ending.

yes i wish it was lol but i have taken out the psycho peppermint took it to my lfs shop and they even said they have never heard of it lol but nevermind hes a nice new home at a shop :)

I think maybe the peppermint or camel shrimp wasn't being fed enough and got all predatory toward his tank mates or maybe it was a territory issue

Back
Top Bottom