Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Peppermint Shrimp

What are your thoughts on peppermint shrimp good or bad. I feel like there isnt a problem with them but why are they so much cheaper than most other shrimp such as fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, etc. Is it because they are many of them and they are easy to be found and sold or is it somehow like a damsel fish in a way where there price can come with a few other possible headaches.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I love my peppermints and have never had any problem with them whatsoever. I have only one left though, and he is about a year old. The price point might be because of their life span if I were to take a guess.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like my peppermints. No issues with them. If anything they tend to be the victims due to their size.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I think it's also the life span as Carey mentioned. I started out with 5 and have only one saddled female left. But they're great little buggers.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok so if it is their lifespan which makes a lot of sense what is the life span on some of the other shrimps compared to it because Ive never owned any other kind.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I htink it's also because they might not be as pretty as the fire and skink cleaners and tend to hide a lot more (than the skunks anyway). I have one that hangs out upside down under a certain rock pretty much all the time. Occassionally he'll come to the front of the live rock when there is food in the water. Other than that, I never see him. Skunks especially will get where they jump right on you when you have your hand in the tank.

I did have one that had a taste for feather duster worms once. I didn't have any of the big ones, just the ones that show up on live rock. You could see him cruise over them and pull their crowns off. I don't know if he ever got to any of the actual worms or not, but he was trying.

Tags
pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com