Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryan5

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are your thoughts on peppermint shrimp good or bad. I feel like there isnt a problem with them but why are they so much cheaper than most other shrimp such as fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, etc. Is it because they are many of them and they are easy to be found and sold or is it somehow like a damsel fish in a way where there price can come with a few other possible headaches.

I love my peppermints and have never had any problem with them whatsoever. I have only one left though, and he is about a year old. The price point might be because of their life span if I were to take a guess.

I like my peppermints. No issues with them. If anything they tend to be the victims due to their size.

I think it's also the life span as Carey mentioned. I started out with 5 and have only one saddled female left. But they're great little buggers.

Ok so if it is their lifespan which makes a lot of sense what is the life span on some of the other shrimps compared to it because Ive never owned any other kind.

I htink it's also because they might not be as pretty as the fire and skink cleaners and tend to hide a lot more (than the skunks anyway). I have one that hangs out upside down under a certain rock pretty much all the time. Occassionally he'll come to the front of the live rock when there is food in the water. Other than that, I never see him. Skunks especially will get where they jump right on you when you have your hand in the tank.

I did have one that had a taste for feather duster worms once. I didn't have any of the big ones, just the ones that show up on live rock. You could see him cruise over them and pull their crowns off. I don't know if he ever got to any of the actual worms or not, but he was trying.

Back
Top Bottom