Peppermint Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My hubby just ordered 4 peppermint shrimp for our 150 gallon tank, is this going to be to many or can I supplement them with food?

I think 4 should be fine! I did have two peppermints in my 60 gallon, but then one died. However, I now have two cleaner shrimp and the one peppermint. They are all doing great! They will scavenge on the liverock and also eat pieces of frozen food and seaweed that I feed my Regal Tang. They are really good at finding things to eat! :) Good luck with your peps!

In a 150 you could have 3 times that many. I have 5 in my 125 with 2 cleaners and 2 fire. Shrimp are cool. You might only see them at night or when you feed the tank.

I got two in 125 gal. I bought them primarily for the Aiptasia anenome I got on a rock a couple of weeks ago. I put them in last week and the next day the Aiptasia was gone. I only see them at night when all the lights are off. I wait about 30 minutes for all the fish to go into thier sleeping spots and get the flashlight out. There they are...crawling around on the sand or rocks foraging for food.

Mike

A bit off topic, but not too much...

Is it possible for my Peppermint Shrimp to attack my fish? I have seen him on numerous occasions on top of my poor damsel. Then my damsel seems to be stunned. He will float around the bottom, not swimming. He seems to be fine after awhile.

they are not bothering your damsel. but they are cleaningoff of parsites, I have shrimp that do that to all my fish at night.

It's great!!! The starfish love it. They seem to be hanging out only where I put the sand down. I had a question for you actually...about live rock and if it's ok to collect it. I guess since the sand seems to be working out so well, I thought how cool would it be to hand pick some live rock for my tank.

Back
Top Bottom