Peppermint shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO they are more interesting in pairs, i dont think it will hurt to have more than one

I bought five, and the smallest (a tiny one, about 1/2 ") disappeared shortly afterward. The remaining four I've had since mid- October, and they all get along great, swarm out at feeding time!

I have 4 now in my 120. They get along fine with my skunks, monkey shrimp, harlequin and green hawaiian as well.

I wish I could bring myself to add them to mine. I fear my damsel, angel or blenny will have issues with them. Plus they are expensive in AU!

Yeah they are only $3.99 around my way. I have about five along with 2 skunks, a Fire, and a Tiger Pistol. My buddy ended up with like 20 in his 30 gallon. He had a Bad aptasia problem. He one week he got like 5. Couldnt find any of them and the aptasia was still bad for like ever week or two he went and got five more and so on. Finally all the aptasia is gone but now when he feeds theres like 20 some peps that come running out for food its funny. Hey he needed 20 he had some aptasia that were big enough to host a clown(sorry tatty)

Since where on the subject, I was told that shrimps are not good for a DSB tank any truth to this? I heard shrimps could eat bristle worms, pods, etc..

I've always heard peppermint shrimp are good in groups. Honestly, I've never been able to get them to live. I'm a skunk cleaner shrimp girl all the way.

Never heard that drillsar. There are shrimp with specialized diets and some that are diggers so you want to research the species first. And perhaps in those ways they may seem bad, but I've never heard of shrimp being bad for a dsb. :|

peppermint shrimp are good for aiptasia but I heard that once the aiptasia is gone or not in your tank they will look for other food.. Skunk Cleaners actually eat what?

I think all shrimp are scavengers. That's what makes them such an integral part of my reef tank, IMO. They eat the food that falls to the bottom after the fish feeding (along with the Red & Blue leg hermits). I think eating aptasia is like eating potato chips to them. A delicacy that they enjoy but don't need for survival.

I run an SSB so I don't really know but I've never seen any of my shrimp digging around in my sand bed! I think I end up stirring it up more often than my shrimp.

Neither my peppermint or skunks dig in the sand. The skunks clean parisites off the fish (that will let them). Mine did that for a few days for my FoxFace Lo. He actually went to their cleaning station for a few days. Guess they cleaned him up cause he swims away from them now. They still try to clean anything new that goes in the tank.

That's amazing. I should get one.

Recon cleaner shrimp will be munched by a yellow tail damsel, a coral beauty or a red blenny (see my gallery)?

Back
Top Bottom