Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2002, 12:21 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Peppermint Shrimp and babies

Today, when I came home from work and watched the tank awhile, I noticed that there were 3 peppermint shrimp laying up under a rock. After closer inspection, I noticed that they were fanning eggs on their bellies.

A few hours later, I went in and was watching. A few minutes after I sat down, the cardinals started going crazy, they were eating what appeared to be, little white baby shrimp! They were acting like it was candy.

What is the success rate of raising these shrimp to adulthood? I realize the mothers would have to be moved to another tank. But is it even do-able or worth the headache? Will they have hatchings on a fairly regular basis? Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2002, 10:42 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to masterchief117
i doubt you will be able to raise the larva in the main tank. Most of the fish will consume them before they have a chance to hide. If some do survive the feeding frenzy then they might not get anything to eat in the tank. there is always a chance one might find something to eat and not get eaten so you might have another pepermint shrimp.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
I'll go through the weaknesses of Peppermint Shrimp Larvae and the maybe you can make a suitable habitat.

1 - Bumping into objects. Every little scrape and bump against the glass injures them, eventually they can't feed from all the damage. You need to find a way to keep them from bumping the glass or other objects.

2 - Poor swimmers. They can barely swim. Any current will pull them along. This includes powerheads and overflows.

3 - Weak capturing arms. Feeding them is difficult. The food must present itself to them and then they need to grab it to eat.

4 - Phototropic. They swim toward the light. This usually makes them eat prey for any predator. Even the tiniest fish will find them a nice treat. You need to make their tank predator free.
Old 10-21-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Ramrebel
peppermint shrimp?

where I can I find them? do they taste anything like popcorn or cocnut shrimp?

Ed

20g - fireparrot
Ramrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Ramrebel
but seriously

how can you possibly keep them from bumping into glass?!?!?

Ed

20g - fireparrot
Ramrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 02:37 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
has anyone had luck breeding pepermints in there own tank?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
I've had limited success raising them from Larvae. The odds are dismal but I'm improving. I keep them from bumping into anything by using a circular container with waterflow toward the center and a small light right in the middle to attract them. That only takes care of 1 of their difficulties.

Tags
babies, pepper, peppermint, peppermint shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com