Peppermint Shrimp and babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today, when I came home from work and watched the tank awhile, I noticed that there were 3 peppermint shrimp laying up under a rock. After closer inspection, I noticed that they were fanning eggs on their bellies.

A few hours later, I went in and was watching. A few minutes after I sat down, the cardinals started going crazy, they were eating what appeared to be, little white baby shrimp! They were acting like it was candy.

What is the success rate of raising these shrimp to adulthood? I realize the mothers would have to be moved to another tank. But is it even do-able or worth the headache? Will they have hatchings on a fairly regular basis? Any ideas?

i doubt you will be able to raise the larva in the main tank. Most of the fish will consume them before they have a chance to hide. If some do survive the feeding frenzy then they might not get anything to eat in the tank. there is always a chance one might find something to eat and not get eaten so you might have another pepermint shrimp.

I'll go through the weaknesses of Peppermint Shrimp Larvae and the maybe you can make a suitable habitat.

1 - Bumping into objects. Every little scrape and bump against the glass injures them, eventually they can't feed from all the damage. You need to find a way to keep them from bumping the glass or other objects.

2 - Poor swimmers. They can barely swim. Any current will pull them along. This includes powerheads and overflows.

3 - Weak capturing arms. Feeding them is difficult. The food must present itself to them and then they need to grab it to eat.

4 - Phototropic. They swim toward the light. This usually makes them eat prey for any predator. Even the tiniest fish will find them a nice treat. You need to make their tank predator free.

peppermint shrimp?

where I can I find them? do they taste anything like popcorn or cocnut shrimp?

:D

Ed

but seriously

how can you possibly keep them from bumping into glass?!?!?

Ed

I've had limited success raising them from Larvae. The odds are dismal but I'm improving. I keep them from bumping into anything by using a circular container with waterflow toward the center and a small light right in the middle to attract them. That only takes care of 1 of their difficulties.

Back
Top Bottom