Peppermint Shrimp are eating my yellow polyps:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had a nice little colony of yellow polyps, and i've started noticing that the colony appears to be shrinking slowly. So I am going to go ahead and blame this on the two Peppermint shrimp i have. The shrimp only come out at night so I'm guessing that's why i don't see them eating the polyps.

I want to get rid of the shrimp before all my yellow polyps are gone. I will deal with the aptaisa another way. How do I get the peppermint shrimp out without tearing my reef apart? They are timid and hide all day.

Ouch
I did read someplace when I was researching mine that peppermint shrimp will eat them :(
No idea how to go about trapping them.

I've alread thought of a trap....but that's easier said than done. Shrimp aren't crabs and they can get out of just about anything i can think of to make. Maybe the 2 liter coke bottle trick will work though. In the mean time....i'm moving my yellow polyps somewhere safe. Hopefully I'll catch them soon and exchange them at the LFS.

coke bottle trick should work...

but they are pretty agile (and quick) and may be able to get out. if you do try it, i would monitor the trap after you turn out the lights, and you should be able to use a net to "close off" the end of the bottle once the shrimp is inside.

~mike

Are you sure that it is the shrimp. Sometimes they will be eating bits of algea that are between them. You dont have an angel in the tank do you. I had some yellow polyps and was disapearing and later found out it was my keyhole munching on them.

no angels...just a yellow tang, mandarin, yellow goby, 2 clowns and a few chromis. I have some emerald crabs that might be to blame. But i suspect the peppermints first. I've had them for about 9 months and they've gotten rather big.

I would say the emerald crabs are eating the yellow polyps. I had 1 emerald crab and he killed my yellow leather and my sea squirt :(

I`m just saying be sure. You might have the wrong suspect. It dont sound like you`ve got enough evidence. Good Luck

melosu58 said:
I`m just saying be sure. You might have the wrong suspect. It dont sound like you`ve got enough evidence. Good Luck

true, i could have the wrong suspect. I saw one of my emeralds eating on one of my zoos today. Not happy about that. I was hoping they wouldn't do that. I'm going to probably trade them back into the LFS once i can catch them. Still debating wether the peppermints have to go as well...

There are 2 tpes of shrimp that are sold as Peppermint Shrimp.. It is not unheard of for them to eat small polyps.. I have one that was given to me by another reefer because it was eating his corals. I stuck it in my fuge/small fish tank.

Lysmata wurdemanni and the Lysmata californica

DO you have a pic of the shrimp? Peppermints closly resemble the camel shrimp, which are know coral munchers. I have often times seen them mis-labled at some LFS.

i can get a picture if need be...but do camel shrimp eat aptaisa? Because I bought these peppermint shrimp to handle the aptaisa problem...and they did...they eat it up. I can still get a picture if need be. Just on my way out the door for the day though.

Camel shrimps have a "hump" on their back, which is why they are called camel shrimps lol. The color and decoration on them are the same as peppermint shrimps. HTH

I only wish my peps would eat my yellow polyps. :?

Have you watched the coral at night for preditory crabs/snails or parasites? Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom