Peppermint shrimp assassins...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceanicsublimat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok..I got these peppermint shrimp to eat aiptasia.. they only pick at the large ones..and I've noticed they have a taste for nudibranchs and other good soft thingimabobs..I have to feed em to keep em halfway at bay.. anyone have any problems with their pepp. shrimp?

i found my peppermint shrimp bothering my coral banded shrimp. the next day i woke up in the morning to see the peppermint shrimp eating the CBS...

Being a cleaning animal/scavanger, they do prey on the weakened. I think they sense things that we would never know. If the animals are healthy, the shrimp wouldn't be able to take them out. Especially a CBS. But, weakened inverts and fish are easy prey. Nudibraches don't have a very good record for surviving and the peps are just moving things along.

yeah.. but now I saw one eating on a bristle worm.. well, half of one at least. I have too many pepps in the tank I think.. 3.. 2 are big and one of them is really small.. they were all the same size when I get them

I've read that peps are not reef safe, although people buy them to control aiptasia. Here is a quote from Anthony Calfo-"Peppermint shrimp are similar but not quite the same(as camel shrimp). They are slightly safer for reef aquariums (although they have often been observed nibbling at coral).... However, they still eat far more good things in refugia than they produce in my opinion. My advice is the same as for camel/Durban/dancing shrimps. Not for reef aquariums. Kindly, Anthony"
HTH

Back
Top Bottom