Peppermint Shrimp Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently picked up a peppermint shrimp as part of the clean up crew for a new 40 gallon tank. So far, I have only added some snails and crabs and this shrimp. With no fish in the tank, do I need to be dropping food in just for him? Also, do you have any general tips on the care of peppermint shrimp?

Both the shrimp and crabs will need to be fed A small pinch of food every two days will work

Yes they will eat most anything, once you add fish you wont need to worry about feeding as they will eat any leftovers

I would recommend testing for iodide in your tank and adding if necessary. As the shrimp grows, it will need to shed its shell. Additional iodide makes this less stressful on them. I has 6 peppermints die of unknown causes before I started dosing the iodide. My new peppermints have shed several times with no problems.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

In most case's the water changes will provide the needed trace eliments

Will do. Just a staple food

yes just a few flakes should do (just don't over feed)

once you add stock you won't need to feed crabs or shrimp no more as they will find the scrapes left over from fish

you don't need to add iodine for a shrimp , dosing will only lead to problems especially if your just starting out , after you get some experience under your belt than you can decide if you want to dose or not , I don't believe in dosing any more I have better looking corals with just water changes than I did when I did dose
like Grizz said simple water changes will add all elements needed

Back
Top Bottom