Peppermint shrimp difference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just purchased what I hope to be 2 Peppermint Shrimp tonight for my budding Aptasia problem.
How can you tell the difference between the true Aptasia eater and its cousin?
I've seen a couple of pics online of both, but the picks are small and I can;t really see a difference.
TIA

The ones that get mistaken for are camel shrimp.

Camel:

camel_shrimp.jpg

gambero05.JPG

Peppermint:

peppermint1.jpg

20728b10.jpg

Camels have those white lines and spots, peppermints don't.

I am not sure about compatibilty in your tank, but I was told that copperbanded butterfly fish tear them up. I don't know if that helps any.

The Peppermint Shrimp has yellowish white body has several distinctive longitudinal red stripes. The Pacific cousin, Rhynchocinetes durbanensis, has a pointed nose and inter-spaced white stripes over its body.

Thanks, Sixline, they look like peps then. I will grab a pick once the acclimation is done. Got a plan for your next stock yet Sixline? Still thinking about an aggressive tank?
Hi Clownin!! Thanks, but I have 2 Heni's. Thats enough Butterflies. I did consider them though.

deepbluesea said:
The Peppermint Shrimp has yellowish white body has several distinctive longitudinal red stripes. The Pacific cousin, Rhynchocinetes durbanensis, has a pointed nose and inter-spaced white stripes over its body.
Cool, these are peps then. This particular LFS has good stock, just their staff is not the best at IDing things.
Thanks!! :)

Was able to grab 1 quick pic before they hid upon release. Poor qualilty.
But I think they are the real deal.
Ya I know...clean the glass. 8O

But I think they are the real deal.

Yep those are peppermints. The ones I had would jump on my hand and try to clean me while feeding some inverts. They can be very tame if you hand feed them. As for my tank im still going aggresive. Im going to work on it today lowering my rock work, so theres no big rock wall in the middle. Going with a bunch of low rocks with almost no open sand. This way ill have plenty of room for my big lionfish im getting.

Back
Top Bottom